Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Erratic idle, running rough

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Erratic idle, running rough

A few weeks ago while I was driving in town, my 1996 XJ started sputtering and lurching like it wasn't getting enough fuel. Luckily I wasn't too far from home so I limped back to the house. The next day, it started and ran fine. This happened again twice in the following week. I replaced the fuel filter hoping that was the cause and it seemed to fix the problem. This weekend it did the same thing when I started it up and the check engine light came on. I checked the diagnostic code and it was the crankshaft position sensor. All of the threads I've read say that a bad CPS will cause a no start condition. Is this the problem or could it be the fuel pump or another sensor?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Corndog, welcome.
You had an issue, you checked for codes. Always a good start. And I guess you did it because you were looking for a cause?
You actually got a code now. It means your jeep is trying to tell you something.
So...why not start there?

CPS is known to be up for replacement at some point, can cause the symptoms you describe and you are lucky yours at least is throwing a code for it.
Yes, of course, it can be other things, otherwise life wouldn't be fun. But start with what your Jeep wants you to check first. And get a quality CPS.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

OP,

If you need a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) for your '96, there's two types available.

Look at the pins in the CPS. If you have round pins the OEM part number is 56026921. If you have flat pins the OEM part number is 56027865.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the information. This forum has helped keep my Jeep alive since I became a member. I'll start with the CPS and go from there. If that doesn't work I'll be back.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

in case it DID work, come back as well!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by Roler
in case it DID work, come back as well!
X2 there's too many threads like this that end with no conclusion
Old 08-01-2014, 09:32 AM

I ordered the part yesterday and it should be here sometime next week. I agree that many threads on here have no resolution and i will definitely post after I install it.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 PM

I finally got the time to install the crank sensor this weekend. When i tried to start it after the install, it turned over, sputtered a few dying breaths and then died. After a few more attempts, it finally stayed running but still had the erratic idle. Eventually it smoothed out, and I took it for a test drive. Everything seemed fine so yesterday I drove it for a 60 mile round trip out of town with no apparent issues. Today I was driving around town and it started sputtering again, but after that I had no problems for the rest of the day. I'm still not sure what the issue is.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:46 PM

Year: 1998

I just had the same thing happen to me today. Started fine, died, restarted, died at light, restarted and died at light twice. was heading to gas station but still had just under a quarter tank, died going into station. filled up and would not restart. pushed away from pump. had a guy power up and heard fuel pump start up in tank. he started jeep and i kept it running with throttle at throttle body-if i let it go to idle wanted to stall so had to feather to keep going, held it at a elevated idle for a minute or so and then let go and it idled. jumped in and headed home. every 6 to 10 seconds made a hard miss. check engine light came on at station(first time ever). when i pulled into drive and let throttle down to idle and it idled but bounced. i shut it off and it restarted right away but died after a couple seconds and when i tried to restart just turned over-repeat of gas station. I had to go get kids so I took my truck. I have a scan tool so I will get the code, I was wondering if this is what yours did corn dog and is yours ok or still messing up?
Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

Sounds like a fuel pressure issue to me. If you can, hook up a pressure gauge and watch to see if the pressure fluctuates when the sputtering occurs.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:17 AM

Rootripper that's pretty much exactly what happened except it usually started then sputtered. I have not been able to figure it out and in fact now it's not starting at all. Kalali you may be right. I haven't checked the pressure but I did check the valve on the fuel rail to see if it was getting fuel and it was. What's the pressure supposed to be?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by corndog
Rootripper that's pretty much exactly what happened except it usually started then sputtered. I have not been able to figure it out and in fact now it's not starting at all. Kalali you may be right. I haven't checked the pressure but I did check the valve on the fuel rail to see if it was getting fuel and it was. What's the pressure supposed to be?
Like other members said you gotta test your fuel pressure and make sure thats ok. Since it wont start you cant get the running pressure but could hook the pressure gauge up to the schrader valve on your fuel rail then cycle the key on and off a few times to let it build pressure.

I had a similar issue where mine would die if i let off the gas at a stop light and for me it turned out to be rust and corrosion on the contactss of my ignition coil in combination with a really badly worn out main ground wire. Im still chasing down rough idle issues but this stopped my stalling problems. Easy enought o look into. Wish you luck sir.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Seasoned Member

I had a very similar issue. Replaced cps and it ran better for about 10 minutes. Started acting up again so took it back to have codes ran. It ended up being my map sensor. I replaced that and it has ran great since. Not sure if this is you issue but wouldn't hurt to check into it! Mine would barely run until I fixed those 2
Old 09-15-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by corndog

On 99+ it's 49 psi. Not sure about 96. I think it's 45 psi.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:14 AM

Year: 1998

An update: mine had two cps codes. I removed the sensor and the end was totally wasted-deformed, it had obviously been hot. I installed a new sensor from napa and it is running flawlessly now. I have only put on a 80 to 90 miles since though and all is right for now. My wife's friends husband is a jeep tech at a dealer and he said to buy the factory sensor because the aftermarkets will fail in 3 months-it was too late for me I had already bought and installed mine, but it comes with a 3 year warranty, so we will see. To be continued.

Quick Reply: Erratic idle, running rough