Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine Trouble

Cranked my '01 earlier and noticed a strange noise coming from under the hood. It's not a knock but I'm not exactly sure how to describe it...maybe a "whine"?. It's not even a labored sound, really. Anyway, popped the hood and oil was spraying all over the engine and leaking from below (steady stream). There is normal oil pressure and, as said, it is not the standard knock of a thrown rod. I can't see where the oil is coming from. The oil in the vehicle has about 2000 miles on it and is still the color of when it came out of the bottle. She has 175k miles, never gone more than 3500 miles without a change. Every oil change has had a bottle of Slick 50 added to it, keeping in mind not to overfill it. I haven't driven it obviously but it starts fine. Seems maybe there is some vibration when I look at the serpentine belt but given the situation I did not want to let it run longer than about ten seconds to shoot a short video (which I'd hoped to upload but apparently cannot be done here). I understand this is pretty vague info but hoping someone has an idea of what I'm looking at.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

You will have to track it down. Where is there more oil? Top? Driver side? Passenger side? Front? Without knowing any of that, it will be tough to figure out. Leaking from below doesnt help much as thats gravity doing its thing. Wipe the engine down with a rag where you see oil or dirt, and make sure the oil pan drain plug isnt leaking. Start it up and let it run. Watch for oil where there wasnt any before. Check the oil pan, valve cover, oil filter and the adapter, etc..

I cant help with the video. Until someone else comes along, browse Youtube for something that sounds similar. Its better than nothing.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

The most likely place for oil that is spraying upward but also streaming downward would be the oil filter/oil filter adapter area.

Did this start out of the blue? Or had there been a recent oil change?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Yes, just started all of the sudden. I'm guessing a gasket but time and weather haven't been good to me. Finally just called my mechanic and had him come get it. Going to feel pretty foolish if it just turns out to be the filter but it was changed with the oil so I didn't really even think about it being that. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Glad u didn't drive it.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 309 Likes on 214 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0