Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine stumbles

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine stumbles

1989 jeep wagoneer limited 4.0

When I was trailing yesterday my jeep started to hesitate when I went to higher elevation. When I tried climbing the engine started to act up. If felt like when ur jeep is out of time. It drives fine in reverse or park. When u put it in drive and accelerate at 1000 Rpms it stumbles. The problem wasn't as constant when I went to lower altitude but I still have the problem. It's fuel injected. I checked the fuel filter.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

alot of these type isseus these days... the thing is, at least w/ mine when i started having this hesitation issue, there were no codes to run. and only on occasion will the check engine light come on. i forget what code it showed last time, emmisions of some sort... but ive replaced a ton of parts: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, TPS, IAC valve, checked the fuel delivery system from injectors to pump assembly... and i got it to stop for the most part, but more recently its been acting up aging... very frustrating... good luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:49 PM

Yea I don't have a check engine light. I though it could be my tps but someone else told me it was the crank sensor.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Greenchevy
1989 jeep wagoneer limited 4.0

When I was trailing yesterday my jeep started to hesitate when I went to higher elevation. When I tried climbing the engine started to act up. If felt like when ur jeep is out of time. It drives fine in reverse or park. When u put it in drive and accelerate at 1000 Rpms it stumbles. The problem wasn't as constant when I went to lower altitude but I still have the problem. It's fuel injected. I checked the fuel filter.
The last time I had this happen at elevation I was at 6000 feet, and my car threw a #3 cylinder misfire and it threw a multiple cylinder misfire code. After I went back down the hill, parked and aired back up, by the time I started the car 45 minutes after parking, it was running fine. And I never had the same issue since. I tend to think, just my opinion mind you, that the computer became "confused". So you say you still have the problem, does the problem occur only at elevation or does the problem occur at lower altitudes as well?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:30 PM

It's still happened when I drove home at a lower altitude.

Last edited by Greenchevy; 01-31-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:59 AM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Greenchevy
It's still happened when I drove home at a lower altitude.
That is really weird that the car would run poorly in drive and not in reverse or park? If it were me I think that I would go about testing the tps, crank sensor and cam sensor just to rule those out if it happens to be nothing is wrong with them. Hopefully someone will chime in with a specific solution to this problem.