Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine running problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Engine running problems

ok to start I bought a 88 cherokee with a bead head gasket. put a new gasket on put back together and started the jeep. it would idle but not build any rpm's. Doing more playing around the engine found bad timing chain, and cover, so installed a new timing chain and gears. The jeep started fine and still did the same thing, it would Idle but not build rpm's. So I pulled the motor and found 2 bad cylinders, all the main and rod bearing were shot. So I found a good motor out of a 95 cherokee, I had to reuse a few things from my engine like intake, and distributor, and flywheel. after getting the motor and everything back together I started the jeep with the new motor, it started fine and Idles fine, but I went to give it gas and it did the same thing the old engine did. So my question is Could the Flywheel be wrong, because they were different from my motor and the 95 motor. Or could it be the crankshafte position sensor. Any help would be helpful. Thank you
Old 10-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

I would start looking at fuel delivery. My first guess off what you describe is a dirty fuel filter, if that's not it, check the pick up screen in the gas tank, check your lines, make sure nothing is pinched. Sounds like just about enough gas, but not quite. When my little bro's crankshaft sensor went, the jeep just wouldn't start.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i just swapped out an 88 and put in a 93 and left the flywheel from the 93 on the motor. it didnt fire or pulse the injectors. i had to switch the flywheel back and it started fine. so if you have the wrong flywheel it probly wont start at all.