Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine running bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: straight 6
Default Engine running bad

So I got a 1995 cherokee several months ago and have done some work but not too much. All I've done is replaced fuel pump, battery, alternator, spark plugs, spark plug connectors, spark plug wires, gas oil, antifreeze, belt, and most recently(a few days ago) the radiator. Also would like to mention I was told it was sitting for about 2 years before i bought it. 2 days ago, I changed the radiator and put new antifreeze in and it ran fine that night. Yesterday afternoon, when I went to start it up, it didn't start(turned over though). The gas indicator doesn't work right now so we thought it was out of gas. We added some that we had available and it started but not easily. After it started it sounded a lot deeper than a straight six should ever sound and it rattled like crazy. I think its a fouled plug but I haven't checked yet. Any idea on what else it could be if not a fouled plug? Sorry for the long paragraph but I didn't want to have the first 5 comments asking every question there was.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: straight 6
Post Spark plugs good

The spark plugs seem to be fine. I'm going to put them back in and see what happens now. Before I tear apart the entire engine I'm going to fill up the tank with gas. It could be something as stupid as that because I didn't add a lot last time and it's on an angle so that might be an issue.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Warren99Xj
The spark plugs seem to be fine. I'm going to put them back in and see what happens now. Before I tear apart the entire engine I'm going to fill up the tank with gas. It could be something as stupid as that because I didn't add a lot last time and it's on an angle so that might be an issue.

If it was run completely out of gas it may have picked up sediment in the bottom of the tank that could have clogged the fuel-filter (or possibly injectors too), running the tank dry is very bad, not only can it cause clogs from sediment, but fuel cools the pump so running dry/very low will cause the pump to over heat and significantly shorten its life. I also see that you replaced the spark plugs and wires, but not the distributor cap and rotor (standard tune-up item) so that may be worth a shoot as well. What type of fuel-pump did you use? Mopar, Bosch, and Carter (to a lesser extent) are generally seen as the only "good" ones, other after market pumps have high failure rates. There is a Schrader valve on the side of the fuel-rail you can use to test fuel-pressure.

Not sure if it might have anything to do with your issues, but personally I've had issues with the fuel-injector connectors on my 95, the crappy factory connectors (all plastic which gets brittle with age and with no metal "spring" like the aftermarket replacements) causing bad connections and misfires.

I'd also recommend checking all your battery cables and ground straps, loose/missing/corroded cables and ground straps have been known to cause all kinds of issues.

Last edited by dmill89; 09-05-2017 at 07:10 PM.