Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine nock

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine nock

Have a question maybe some one can help me with. I have a ticking in my engine and it kinda sounds like it's coming from the bottom end. If it was something was wrong I would find metal in the oil right? Iv done a lot of reading and I'm going to be putting in rotulla 5w40 and going with a wix filter. Do you think this will help my tick?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6

I think everyone who owns a 4.0 goes looney trying to chase down a knock, tick, clack, or some other noise in this engine. First thing, they are very noisy engines. Some people on here claim that when they bought them new, they were making these noises off the lot.

Anyway, if its a "tick" it's most likely nothing, but those typically don't come from the bottom end.

You might want to look into this

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...ocking-125547/

Cruiser54 on here believes that this should be a maintanence procedure for cherokees, and i would agree, especially since its so simple.

Another thing to keep an eye out for is your oil pressure. Let's say its a warm day, and you just drove 25 miles on the highway, or something else that you've been pushing that engine for a while, does that oil pressure needle drop down in the "10" area? and if it does, you will deffinitely want to check it with a mechanical gauge, because the oil pressure sensors on these jeeps are really stupid, and over the years, gunk builds up in the elbow where these sensors are mounted, so when you remove it to put a mechanical gauge on, run a zip tie or pipe cleaner (Those long fuzzy bendy things) in the hole, and some gunk will come out (This fixed my low pressure issue).

Common sources of "Noise" in these engines.

Dead/weak lifter
Piston Slap
Worn Rod Bearing -> Rod knock

Less common but still relevant
Worn main bearings
Worn cam bearings

Dont jump the gun, but be proactive
Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 i6

Originally Posted by BigDaveA82
d I'm going to be putting in rotulla 5w40 and going with a wix filter. Do you think this will help my tick?

Definitely a good combo according to most people.

Wix filter 100%

I am leary to switching to rotella synthetic in mine because i have so many miles and its been used to dino oil. Its probably an old wives tale, but i don't take the chance.

Some people swear by it though. And i deffinitely like the high zinc content
Old 03-12-2014, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Ye Ol' Cherokee

Definitely a good combo according to most people.

Wix filter 100%

I am leary to switching to rotella synthetic in mine because i have so many miles and its been used to dino oil. Its probably an old wives tale, but i don't take the chance.

Some people swear by it though. And i deffinitely like the high zinc content
Synthetic is the way to go for most applications now. New technology and understandings have pushed through. Most synthetic oils have better seal conditioners and more anti wear properties than their dino counterpart. I myself have been running mobil 1 synthetics in everything I've owned for the past 9 years with zero issue. Just Use a quality filter and oil and dont look back. Salad has a superb write up on Oil if anyone cares to share the link
Old 03-12-2014, 09:50 PM

The only time it get down to around the 10 range is if iv let it worm up to operating temp and drive it for a bit and at idle. When I'm out driving it's stays just a hair past 40. Then if I stop it will drop down to the 10 range.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:16 PM

Engine: I6

Originally Posted by BigDaveA82
The only time it get down to around the 10 range is if iv let it worm up to operating temp and drive it for a bit and at idle. When I'm out driving it's stays just a hair past 40. Then if I stop it will drop down to the 10 range.
check out my post. a lot of ppl have a similar problem, I will also be switching to rotella t6 in a week or 2 maybe sooner. read salads post on it if you haven't already. My thread has some good info you might wanna look at along with videos.

My thread: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/eng...k-idle-189746/

Salad's: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/rot...essing-188168/