Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Mount questions-Access to area

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Engine Mount questions-Access to area

I need to replace the right side mounts and the bolts are broken off in the block. I have read the all the other posts I could find here regarding this job. I am the 2nd owner of this vehicle and I have all the service records back to when it was new. Browsing through them I see this is the 3rd time this side has broken. The dealership put grade 8 bolts in the second time but the work order says the owner declined to put 3 in due to having to remove the engine to get to one of them. This was 10 years ago. I have a few questions yet.

1. It appears this would be easier if the AC lines were not laying right over the mounts. Can/should I remove them for better access?

2. The cable to the battery is also running over the mounts. Is this worth removing?

3. How many bolts are in the block on this side? I can clearly see one snapped off but have not yet begun the tear down to see what else down there.

4. Is oil filter adapter removal required on a '95?

5. I have some buddies with the tools/skills to remove the bolts. Do the new mounts come with all the bolts, if not, are they only available at a dealership? How about Fasteners or Fastenal?

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L 242cid I6 high output

Well the a/c lines are a headache... However don't need 2 come out...
The battery cable can stay in unless u want to take it out and and replace it. I think it is only one bolt in the block(I could b wrong)...So,I just used a 1/2" drive Ratchet w/ a 19mm socket on it and a 19mm wrench 2 hold the nut. If one mount is bad and u only have grade 3 bolts in them, I would go ahead and replace both sides cause. If ones broke the other prolly ain't far behind nothing else has 2 come out. I wouldn't even tear out the a/c lines unless it don't work. good luck man let us know how she goes
and remember when in doubt pb b'laster works miracles

Last edited by Leigonaire762; 05-19-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: more info added
Old 05-19-2012, 01:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Just a heads up..one of the smart guys here, maybe Laredo, someone said to be sure the bolts are not bottoming out in the short holes. If the bolt head isn't pulling down all the way it's hard on the bolts.....washers have been added to help there....