Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Engine Issue

So I think I am developing a lower end rod knock. I was curious if when I replace the connecting rod and the main bearing if I need to do anything with the crank or if I can just replace the bearings. I am in the middle of fixing the tps sensor and oxygen sensor but my check antilock is still on and the dash lights do not work and I have checked all the fuses, any thoughts what it could be? TIA
Old 07-10-2009, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999

You may want to search for "flexplate" on the site. Maybe a loose one is causing your sound... It has been know to cause a knock type sound. Search it and you may be surprised.
Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 01:09 AM

Will check that out. Any idea about the check anti lock and the dash lights issue?
Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1994Cherokee
Will check that out. Any idea about the check anti lock and the dash lights issue?
Not sure at this moment... I'll have to think about that, maybe others have ideas. I try not to comment on issues I haven't dealt with unless I can spot something off the information given. Maybe if you could go into more detail something will come to me.
Like for example was something done that caused the problem with the antilock light and dash? Are they seperate issues or did they occur at the same time? Those kind of details may help... Don't worry about rambling... Any info helps no matter how small the detail.
Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 AM

Well the check anti lock has been on since I bought it I bought this Jeep for $400. The headlight switch when I turn it on clicks light the dash lights should come on but dont yet the headlights still come on, I am curious as if I should have to replace this as I have done once. I just installed an after market stereo and I think something may have touched not sure. I was curious about the check anti lock like if it was something on the wheel itself or rotor that has a sensor down there.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by 1994Cherokee
Well the check anti lock has been on since I bought it I bought this Jeep for $400. The headlight switch when I turn it on clicks light the dash lights should come on but dont yet the headlights still come on, I am curious as if I should have to replace this as I have done once. I just installed an after market stereo and I think something may have touched not sure. I was curious about the check anti lock like if it was something on the wheel itself or rotor that has a sensor down there.
I'm not sure. If you suspect the switch maybe you can test it or jumper it across the wires on the back to see if you can get the dash light on. Maybe someone else has ideas on that one.
I have owned Suburbans that had antilock brake issues. Those have sensors on each wheel that becomes coroded and doesn't read the gear-type teeth on the wheel, thus triggering the light. On those you could clean up the sensor and the hole it seated in and it would work. By cleaning the hole it was in essence making it closer to the gear-type teeth on the gear thingy.
I didn't realize the 1994's even had antilocks...
Mike