Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Dies and Throws a 22

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine Dies and Throws a 22

Okay so a little history. I own a 1992 Jeep XJ Sport 4x2 with the 4.0L. It's had 250,000 miles on the body and about 5,000 more on a rebuilt engine. I bought it last year from a kid who ran it to death a little more than a year ago. I've only put 1,000 miles on thus far and I've replace a lot of the main things he didn't.
Now on to the problem. About a week ago when I tried to start it I heard a loud pop from inside the cabin and it turned over. Unfortunately I didn't think nothing of it other than it started to idle rough. It idle either 100 rpm above or 50 rpm below normal. However the next day as I was driving home from work it died on me. It took three key turns for it to kick over. I took it home and checked its codes and all that popped up was 12... at first. Over a couple days the idle gets a bit more wonky to the point I feel like it's about to die, but it doesn't I checked it yesterday to see if any new codes popped up and code 22 showed up. Today, it died on me again on the way home, but it did something different. It took one key turn to turn it back on and when it did, it was as if I had the pedal to the floor. It revved like that for 10 seconds before dying down. I checked the codes again and I got 12 and 22.

I know that code 12 isn't anything to worry about at all. For code 22, it states: Engine Coolant Sensor input above, or below, maximum or minimum voltage. So is something wrong with the sensor or the wiring that connects to it? And are there other things I need to look at? Oh and also, I'm not the most mechanically inclined so forgive me if I ask to elaborate. Thanks guys for any help ya'll can give me.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MGerman
I know that code 12 isn't anything to worry about at all. For code 22, it states: Engine Coolant Sensor input above, or below, maximum or minimum voltage. So is something wrong with the sensor or the wiring that connects to it? And are there other things I need to look at? Oh and also, I'm not the most mechanically inclined so forgive me if I ask to elaborate. Thanks guys for any help ya'll can give me.
I guess the quickest and easiest thing to do would be to replace the coolant sensor. It's probably the easiest sensor on the engine to get at. Also check the wiring to look for any cuts etc. I seem to recall reading somewhere the coolant sensor can affect the gas/air mixture for some crazy reason.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:36 AM

Alright. My father and I will be replacing that sensor, as well as, the thermostat just in case I received a bad one. We'll also check the wiring as far up as we can to make sure there are no cuts. I'll post an update tomorrow night to let the gasket seal set.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 PM

Update: My father and I replaced the Coolant Temperature Sensor and it doesn't throw a code anymore nor does it die on me. Now the only problem I've got is that it misses when cold. I'm thinking it could be bad spark plugs, distributor, and/or wires.