Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Energy suspension motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Energy suspension motor mounts

So, I am just finishing up putting in some energy suspension motor mounts in my 1990 limited. Thought I'd share some tips I found. When removing the rubber from the stock mounts, use vise grips to hold the metal base, then a propane torch to evenly heat the plate. Hold rubber side down and after a few, smelly, minutes, the old rubber will just fall off! Obviously you will want to do this outside and not near anything flammable! This works ALOT easier than the directions to cut and grind off the rubber! Trust me, I did the first side that way, what a PITA!
The other thing I found was that when you get the mount reassembled, pinch the non stud side together in a vise, make sure your holes are lined up, then put a small weld holding the halves together. This will make installation MUCH easier! On the first mount I was about to give up and buy the expensive mounts, but these two tips made the install so much easier, I'd buy these again. Still kinda a PITA to get them together but not to bad if you have a good bench vise.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

I'm confused.. How come you didn't just unbolt the old ones and bolt in the new?? Pictures??
Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Seasoned Member

The energy suspension motor mounts reuse your stock metal shells, kinda like most poly suspension bushings reuse the outer shell. Sorry, no pics To frustrated on 1st one causing me to be hurried on second one.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Found a pretty good write up here with pics. You can see the gap I pinched together & spot welded on his assembled pics. I didn't notch for the bolt head, just used lotsa lube
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/energy-suspension-motor-mount-install-1345368/