Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

End Of The Line for My 96 XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default End Of The Line for My 96 XJ?

My 96XJ has close to 280k it.

I put a new tranny in last winter and have spent the rest of the year fighting it and letting it sit for weeks on end.

It starts just fine. I can go out, throw a battery in it even mid winter and it fires right up, sounds and feels smooth, I can drive around town, run errands, etc.

But if I attempt to run it for long distance (20miles) at highway speed, it begins to cough and sputter and something I can only describe as bucking. Feels like I am riding a horse that really wants to throw me.

I have replaced the IAC, done a tune up, checked the fluids, etc. Starting to think this is the end here.

It does not blow smoke, but if you let it idle somewhere it leaves black specs everywhere, which I presume is carbon deposits.

Some have suggested O2 sensors (exhaust is in bad shape), some have suggested bad fuel or pump (I can't loosen rusted bolts that hold the tank in place). Some have suggested a blown head gasket.

Here is what is really frustrating, the codes don't tell me anything because when I replaced the tranny last year something has gone wrong and I have NO dash gauges or dummy lights at all. So if it is throwing a code I can't tell.

Between the bad dash, the coughing and bucking, other cars to keep running and old house in full remodel I am starting to really think I should sell this truck to someone with more time, patience and knowledge.

What do you think, would you give up or keep battling on?

I should say that before the tranny went bad this thing purred like a kitten with very little problem for years, it was the best vehicle I have EVER owned, hands down. To get rid of it make me feel like I am selling out a friend...

Last edited by k2keith; 01-03-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:02 PM

I didn't get any thoughts on this, so I am bumping this thread. I should add that my wife, my two late teens / early 20's kids and my dad all think I am absolutely nuts. That I should take it to the junk yard and forget it.

I just have a hard time because it has been so good for so long, but at 280k how much more should I expect.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: whats left of a 91
Engine: one that makes noise

so what your saying is before you replaced the trans everything was fine?

check the CPS sounds like its getting false signals , what year of trans did you put in it?
Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 PM

Yes, it ran great before I replaced the tranny. A few little bugs like fuel gauge problems, death wobble with rust and ugly all over it, but overall just great, I would have driven it across country with 269k without hesitation.

Tranny came out of a beautiful red 96 XJ with hardly a blemish that some idiot turned in as part of cash for clunkers.

CPS is crank position sensor isn't it. I could buy that. Now that I think back if I am thinking of the right thing, I believe that my buddy that was helping me with tranny fiddled with that thinking it had come off. We put it back in place, but perhaps not right.

I'll go back at it again.

Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: whats left of a 91
Engine: one that makes noise

Originally Posted by k2keith
Yes, it ran great before I replaced the tranny. A few little bugs like fuel gauge problems, death wobble with rust and ugly all over it, but overall just great, I would have driven it across country with 269k without hesitation.

Tranny came out of a beautiful red 96 XJ with hardly a blemish that some idiot turned in as part of cash for clunkers.

CPS is crank position sensor isn't it. I could buy that. Now that I think back if I am thinking of the right thing, I believe that my buddy that was helping me with tranny fiddled with that thinking it had come off. We put it back in place, but perhaps not right.

I'll go back at it again.

Thanks for the idea.
ok the reason i asked what year was cause 96 was the "change" year, where some trans had the 95- wiring and some had the 97+ wiring.

yes CPS is the crank position sensor it's located on the bell housing, i've even had knicks in my tone ring that knocked it all out of whack