Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 4.0
Default electrical problems

ok this has been going on over the last few days. I would go out to start my jeep, put the key in and nothing. no dash lights, no dome light, nothing. let it sit a few hours and it started right up. drove it to a friends house last night and on the way back i stopped for gas and got stranded with it doing the same thing. no lights nothing. took the batt to get tested and it tested good, but they said it was not fully charged. put the bat back in. poured some coke on the leads and that made the power come back on inside but was too week to start the car. got a buddy to jump and it still would not get any stronger. i cant figure it out so i need some help. in the last 4 months the alternator and starter have both been replaced so i dont think its either of them. any ideas?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Time to check all of the grounding points. Not only at the battery. Make sure to remove them and clean them well. Bad grounding point will cause the problem you have. After cleaning them all report back and let us know if it help. If it doesn't we can give more problems that it may be. But that does sound like it may be what is wrong.
Good luck.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:28 PM

where are all the grounding points on it? i know the one on the side of the engine bay but didnt know what other ones. also i cut and put new leads on it and cleaned up the wires where they attach to the leads. it fired up after that but then it died immediately and i couldnt get it to start. it does have power back on and the lights all come on. the battery just seems like it is week even though it was jumped and tested good. sorry for all the bother, im much better at the mechanical side of things than the electrical.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Default UPDATE

Wehhlll. cut and put on new leads. took off every ground and sanded it and put them back on. also there was some oil on the connections on my starter since the oil filter is right on top of it. so i cleaned that off as best as i could. got a friend to jump it and she fired right up. charge looked good and i drove it around the block came home and turned it off. tried to start it and cranked right up. i still feel like this battle isnt over but it seems to be working for now...
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Did you find the grounds? You have you regular battery cable, A second from the battery to the fender, one on the dipstick and one on the drivers side from the firewall to the back of the head.