Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical problem???

Old 06-17-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical problem???

I know theres a lot of similiar threads but I havent found one that touches on my issue.
I have a 1995 xj 4x4, I was recently driving on the frwy and lost power. I got to my destination and shut it off. I tried starting it again and nothing. It got towed home. I started troubleshooting and found I had no spark, after replacing the CPS and still nothing I took to the forums looking for answers. I learned how to check the engine light counts and it (kinda) led me in the direction of a possible cam sensor. I removed the distributor and found that the gear had been polished smooth. So I figured "Hey" thats it. I replaced it and fired it up. It started but it still has no power, missfires and stalls. To pre answer any questions, I replaced the coil, checked all fuses, checked fuel pressure and even did a compression check. Any help would be awesome. Im about to replace the PCM but hate throwing parts at things.

Thanks........
Old 06-17-2015, 05:05 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by redwoodjennings
I know theres a lot of similiar threads but I havent found one that touches on my issue.
I have a 1995 xj 4x4, I was recently driving on the frwy and lost power. I got to my destination and shut it off. I tried starting it again and nothing. It got towed home. I started troubleshooting and found I had no spark, after replacing the CPS and still nothing I took to the forums looking for answers. I learned how to check the engine light counts and it (kinda) led me in the direction of a possible cam sensor. I removed the distributor and found that the gear had been polished smooth. So I figured "Hey" thats it. I replaced it and fired it up. It started but it still has no power, missfires and stalls. To pre answer any questions, I replaced the coil, checked all fuses, checked fuel pressure and even did a compression check. Any help would be awesome. Im about to replace the PCM but hate throwing parts at things.

Thanks........
Check your plugs too. How many miles are on it? Maybe a fuel injector crapped out. Just throwing out a few more suggestions...
Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

checked the plugs, fuel injectors have been rebuilt in the past 5k and the engine has 5k on it. Some of the sensors are old though. Not sure about any of them besides what I have replaced.