Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issue, will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l SL6
Default Electrical issue, will not start

Hello Everyone;
I own a 1995 Jeep XJ 4.0L 6 in line engine. About a year ago my alternator went bad. I replaced it with a Omix 120 amp. Last Thursday I noticed it was no longer charging the battery. A test with a volt meter indicated there was no charge coming from the Omix alternator.
Today I replaced the OMIX alternator was a NAPA 120 amp alternator. After installation, The Jeep would not start. It didn't even crank over. Interestingly the left turn signal came on. I tried to jump start the vehicle with another battery and got the same results. I checked all the fuses including the "Shut down" fuse and still no luck. Finally I jumped the solenoid on the starter and got the jeep started. The new alternator seems to be working fine; and the Left turn signal came on again and stayed on for about 2 minutes. After driving home and parking, I turned off the Jeep and when I tried to re-start, I got no turn over.
BTW, there is no "check engine" light on

anyone have any suggestions. Please help
Old 08-05-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Sounds like the solenoid is either not working or a wiring issue.

Off hand i don't see how replacing the alternator can affect the starter.
Unless the solenoid wire or its terminal got inadvertently disturbed somehow during the alternator replacement.
Check the easiest things first, like its terminal connector for looseness, corrosion, etc.

Then i'd hook up a voltmeter to the solenoid terminal and ground to see if its getting voltage while cranking and take it from there.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0l SL6

Originally Posted by moparado
Sounds like the solenoid is either not working or a wiring issue.

Off hand i don't see how replacing the alternator can affect the starter.
Unless the solenoid wire or its terminal got inadvertently disturbed somehow during the alternator replacement.
Check the easiest things first, like its terminal connector for looseness, corrosion, etc.

Then i'd hook up a voltmeter to the solenoid terminal and ground to see if its getting voltage while cranking and take it from there.
Well I got the Jeep started. While looking at the all the fuses and wires, I found a 1 " long silver switch plugged into a wire under the dash. I noticed it was very hot. I unplugged it and then attempted to start the Jeep and it started right up. I then plugged it back in and tried to start it and it again started right up. I don't know what this switch is?
I tried to follow the wire, but it went into a wire harness and then into the firewall.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CFreeman
Well I got the Jeep started. While looking at the all the fuses and wires, I found a 1 " long silver switch plugged into a wire under the dash. I noticed it was very hot. I unplugged it and then attempted to start the Jeep and it started right up. I then plugged it back in and tried to start it and it again started right up. I don't know what this switch is?
I tried to follow the wire, but it went into a wire harness and then into the firewall.
Post a pic.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Maybe somebody installed a kill switch. If it's getting hot, current is flowing, and more current than the switch is built to handle.