Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issue/headache

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electrical issue/headache

hello! i own a 2000 Jeep cherokee sport with 84k miles 3 inch rough country lift. I recently went on a trip from Delaware to Vermont and got caught in a snow storm on the way (the entire way), nearly 3/4 into the trip I seemed to have power fluctuations very shortly which then disappeared. The trip totaled nearly 11 hours at pretty low speeds, the next morning my battery was dead and i eventually realized it was because the light controlled by a mercury switch under the hood fell of its mount during the drive which im not sure is related to anything other than killing the battery..once I got the jeep jumped we took a drive up to Maine at which time I started having my guages jumping around and shorting out all the while my battery was pinned. I also observed that i lost my low gear and had to resort to using my manual 1.2 and 3 which seemed to work fine which seemed to coincide with my abs light and occasionally my check gauges light. eventually once it got warmed up the problem disappeared even the drive home was smooth. a couple days later more gauge cluster issues and abs light trans issues. brought it to shop it was throwing codes at least two codes for the speed sensor and another for the alternator which was replaced at least 2 weeks before the trip. mechanic had me buy 170 dollar sensor seeing as i had a new alt and the sensor changed nothing. he asked me to take it to the previous mech who installed the alternator which I did and he after looking over everything extensively relays fuses connections etc decided I may need a new computer so I got one for a ton of cash...so here is the deal with all his electrical equip attached to the car he deduced that the dash was only receiving 9 volts and asking for more which was shorting the system sucking power from the alt (which also got replace again under warranty), that was with the old comp with the new comp it was getting like 19 volts! I dont really understand the issue as well as I should I feel because its electrical based and all the obvious things have been ruled out. 3 weeks no jeep please help (i also would like to add that if i baby the gas pedal i wont get the short once I give to much power abs light trans loses atleast 1st...mechanic is trying going through the harnesses next to find the short) TPS cps and nss seem to be fine

Last edited by mattdel; 01-25-2017 at 06:48 AM.