Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

electrical guru's help! TPS fun...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 08:50 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default electrical guru's help! TPS fun...

Its a long story but what it brakes down to is i got a 94 4.0 XJ's throttle body on my 01 intake on a 96 motor in a 89 cherokee... lol... the TPS is different of course from the 89 to 94... this jeep has the stock engine harness... the MAP sensors actually plugged right in and is the same... but the tps is different... ive seen write ups on moding the tps or buying a $135 part to make it work (renix to HO swap)... but ive read where alot of other vehicles where with motor swaps they just cut the plugs and re spliced them in... saw this for the 6 speed swap and the crank position sensor to make it work... well i tried this and ive got a hesitation from when i hit the gas... and when it actually starts to pull... is there a way to adjust the TPS on the 94's? cause just driving it runs great... it just hesitates when shifting gears and when i get on it... also it drops to a low low rpm after i let off the gas when diving... playing with it in the driveway i can actually get it to backfire alittle... and i swapped the two outter wires today (three wires total for both the sensor and wire harness) and it runs alot better with no hesitation but still drops to low rpm's and it cut off once and when i started it the joker was idling at like 3k... rev the motor alittle more... dropped back to 3k... cut it off and on like 4 times and it finally went back to normal... was weird... but that was the only time it done it... so i guess it dont run great but it is drivable... i was wondering if adding wire (resistance) to a specific wire would that help any and maybe being able to adjust or re-set the tps... thanks for the time!!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Well the first thing to do is be sure you have the wires tied in correctly
Lt blue is the computor 5volt referrence
yellow w/green is the signal from the TPS to the computor
brown is ground.
use a meter and verify 5 volt on the lt blue wire with key on.
verify good ground on the brown wire.
with key on you should have about .65 volts on the signal wire yel w/green at closed throttle and about 4.5 volts on wide open throttle. If this TPS is mounted and not adjustable ....you could try elongating the holes on the TPS and make it adjustable.....then tweak is till you get .65-.75 volts key on throttle closed.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:10 PM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

the color your talking about are from the computer or from the new tps? guess i would no if i went outside and looked but it late for all that now... lol... thanks abunch for the info... just what i needed to know!! figured nobody knew... lol