Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical gremlins

So I'm in the process of installing new headlights and I found that the drivers side turn signal (and associated arrow on the dash) is stuck on any time the headlight switch is pulled....anyone have any experience with similar problems or any clue where the short may be? I checked the wires in between the lights and the firewall. I lost them from the firewall back and I dont have the electrical diagram. The turn signal wire is getting about 7 volts at all times with the headlights or parking lights on. This is only on the left side and not the right.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:42 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

It is likely the socket for the turn signal bulb. Check the Ohms across it for ground. Also, watch this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_KKvMMwmI
Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by gat
It is likely the socket for the turn signal bulb. Check the Ohms across it for ground. Also, watch this video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_KKvMMwmI
Its not the turn signal socket since that is removed completely, I should also say that the turn signals still blink correctly (except faster than normal because I'm switching to LED) and the rear ones work fine. I've tested the turn signal wire and got voltage with the headlights on at the plug behind the light under the ecu.so it's either in the dash or before all the splices, I'm just not sure where it goes from the main harness because I don't have the diagram.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 AM
gat

Are the turn signal indicator bulbs light emitting diodes as well as the head lamps? I had a stock vehicle with the same issue. It would stay on, but blink correctly. It would show in the dash as on as well. It was an issue with ground at that signal indicator in the socket. I hope that this information helps.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by gat
Are the turn signal indicator bulbs light emitting diodes as well as the head lamps? I had a stock vehicle with the same issue. It would stay on, but blink correctly. It would show in the dash as on as well. It was an issue with ground at that signal indicator in the socket. I hope that this information helps.
ok so I was able to get my hands on a diagram and it turns out that the bulb I had installed in the marker lights had a short in it, took the bulb out and fixed the problem. I wasnt able to tell since the leds for the turn signal and running light were both white and I wasn't able to see that they were both on.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:18 PM
gat

There you go. I hope that my replies we of some help.