Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical Gremlins...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default Electrical Gremlins...

So my 1997 Cherokee 5 speed has been giving me headaches lately. First, the voltage regulator went out in the computer. Car was running at 19+ volts. Put in a external voltage regulator and got a new battery on warranty cause the high voltage killed it. Got my alternator rebuilt just because I was at the shop. Put it all back together and wouldn't start. After checking the spark (it was kind of weak, white but spark non the less). Recently replaced ignition coil with an MSD and had no problems since. Got the car started, with a little gas and then idled just fine. Ran around with it all the next day, towing 1000+ lbs, ran no problem. Would give me a batttery light but would shut off when I shut off the lights. (figured this was because of the voltage regulator allowing a little extra voltage than the battery light liked, was only running at 14.5 Volts so i didnt think it was a problem.) On the way home I hit a huge railroad track and lost all throttle but the engine didn't die. Pulled over and shut off the engine. Turned it over and it would crank but no start. Then it jumped up and i pulled around the corner and died again but this time not just the throttle, the whole engine. After this point it hasnt started at all. Battery light is on but the voltage is sitting at 14 on the battery. throwing no codes. HELP please.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

First thing you need to do is get rid of the external regulator. The voltage regulator is in the pcm. You are just adding another possible problem at this point. Maybe get a junkyard pcm if that's actually the problem

Check your battery connections at the terminals and redo the ground right at the negative battery terminal.

See if it starts every time by jumping the starter with the key on.

Last edited by MonacaYankee; 04-11-2017 at 06:06 PM.