Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electric radiator fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question Electric radiator fan

Hi all, only had my 95 Cherokee for a couple of months...I havent driven it that much cause Ive been working on it. My electric radiator fan cycles on every 18 seconds for about 10 seconds.This is constant.....is this normal behavior..??
Seems wasteful cycling off and on so much...and shes not running hot...
Your thoughts ? Thanks ahead of time..
Old 02-07-2018, 12:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Ozalid
Hi all, only had my 95 Cherokee for a couple of months...I havent driven it that much cause Ive been working on it. My electric radiator fan cycles on every 18 seconds for about 10 seconds.This is constant.....is this normal behavior..??
Seems wasteful cycling off and on so much...and shes not running hot...
Your thoughts ? Thanks ahead of time..
Is Ac or defrost on ?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Default Radiator fan

No, air and defrost are off...That was something a friend told me to check...Thanks...any other ideas ?
Old 02-07-2018, 01:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Interesting - My 95 also seems to kick on the aux fan an awful lot even though my temp is steady at about 205. I'll have to pay attention to see if it's defrost related as I do have to run defrost a lot with all the frosty weather.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:08 PM

Hi, keep me informed what you find with yours..Ill do the same... If I cant figure this out, I think I will install a manual switch for the fan...
Old 02-07-2018, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Hi, keep me informed what you find with yours..Ill do the same... If I cant figure this out, I think I will install a manual switch for the fan...
Will do. It doesn't really bother me that the fan is kicking on - the temp seems to be fine and I've had bad luck with manually wiring up stuff myself, so I'm not messing with it unless there's a compelling argument to do so.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Radiator fan

My father inlaw use to always have his interior cab lights in the off position..His theory was if they are always turning on when you don't need them, they wont work when you need them too..
That's kinda how I feel about the fan....No sense having it running all the time for no reason...
Old 02-07-2018, 02:33 PM
CF Veteran

My father inlaw use to always have his interior cab lights in the off position..His theory was if they are always turning on when you don't need them, they wont work when you need them too..
That's kinda how I feel about the fan....No sense having it running all the time for no reason...
I hear that. I guess my thought is that either it's supposed to be doing this, in which case one would treat the fan like anything else and fix it if it breaks, or that if it's not supposed to be doing this then there's something else wrong. If you wire up the fan manually then you're hiding/ignoring the root cause of the issue - which would be that something (CTS or an A/C component) isn't functioning correctly and signaling the fan incorrectly and that "something" is the thing I'd be more concerned about.

I also am not doing any serious wheeling or towing, so I've heard that for normal driving the aux fan is completely unnecessary.

I'll do a simple test when I leave work and let my Jeep warm up to operating temp and see if the fan kicks on without the defrost on, then turn on the defrost and see if it kicks on then.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Rdiator fan

THANKS !
Old 02-07-2018, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

What have you done to your cooling system so far? New thermostat?

My fan kicks on for about 30 seconds but wont kick on again for another couple of minutes if left sitting and idling. It was about 70° out last night when I was letting the Jeep run and the fan kicked on twice in about 10 minutes. I noticed that the mechanical fan would start to lock up (kinda how it does when its cold) before the e-fan kicked in. Possibly your fan clutch is going out or maybe the wrong temp thermostat.

This is also on an 01 which has the fan set to come on at a higher temp. I will check my 99 next time I drive it.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Checking codes would be my first step. Could be coolant temp sensor is going bad.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Default Radiator fan

Thanks for feed back....I don't think it would be thermostat, only because the fan is turning on right from the get go. Long before it gets up to temp and before the thermostat would open.
Temp sensor unit is an interesting thought...
Old 02-07-2018, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987

Got it. I thought you meant once it gets up to temp it kicks the fan on and off. Didnt realize this issue was even when its not up to temp.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

So I brought my 95 up to temp - no aux fan.
I put the heat on (Vent setting with temp lever on full hot) - no aux fan.
I switched it to defrost - aux fan kicked on.

So since my temp never exceeded 205-ish, the only time the aux fan came on was when the defrost (assuming it's using A/C when defrost is on) was on.

Ozalid - I would check your Coolant Temp Sensor since it's easily accessible and there are good test write-ups available. If it's not sending an accurate reading to the computer it can screw with your engine function, so you want to be sure it's working.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Default Fan Thanks

First off , thanks for the feedback everyone....It sure is great to get all these opinions from other Jeep owners ...
I came home from work opened the hood, and unplugged the electric fan up front. Ran her for about 20 minutes and never got above 205 degrees.....Connection is just below the radiator cap on my 95'
I taped up the connector ends for future use...In just over 3 weeks I'm taking her to Baja where she will live for at least the next year.....
I may want to plug it back in once I cross the border ....Ill keep you guys updated if you are interested ...
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Electric radiator fan