Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electric brake booster conversion on a 1990 Cherokee.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electric brake booster conversion on a 1990 Cherokee.

I have 1990 Cherokee with electric brake booster. The booster is going bad and I want to get rid of it. Can I convert it to a vacuum booster? If I can, can someone point me in the right direction? Do they make a direct bolt on kit with no ABS. Or can I just go to the junk yard and get a master and booster out of another Jeep and convert it. Anyone know what year and type of Jeep I can uses for a donor.

Thanks, Brad

Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

grab one out of a 97 and up cherokee. it's a double diaphragm booster with a better master.
you'll have to do a bit of modding with it, but is very easy to do.

i had to drill the hole a bit bigger and grind the end flat for the pedal rod, just enough to get the brake switch and pedal bolt through.

then for the brake differential block (aka proportioning valve body), i had to divorce that from the booster body and locate it in the stock position, then make 2 new brake lines from that to the booster body.
all in all, cost less than a case of beer.
20 bux for the master/booster and 10 bux for new brake lines. i had to get the brake shop to make up one line with a double flare on one end and a bubble flare on the other, using my fittings.

but it still only took a few hours, including going to the scrap yard, pulling the booster, modding it and going to the shop to get the brake line made up, and even installing it and bleeding it out.
i was driving it that evening.