Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

duralast gold axle u joint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default duralast gold axle u joint?

I picked it up cus I broke the grease fitting off my new precision u joint. Are they any good or should I get a new precision or order a spicer online cus no one seems to sell them.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by rtralabama
I picked it up cus I broke the grease fitting off my new precision u joint. Are they any good or should I get a new precision or order a spicer online cus no one seems to sell them.
I replaced both of my axle joints with Duralast Gold less than 5K ago. While working on something else last week I decided to check for any play...damned passenger side is showing signs of wear already. Driver's side is still OK. I usually go with NAPA parts...live and learn. I think I went with Autozone because they had them in stock and figured they would last about 50K or so. Yeah there's a lifetime warrant but who want to do all that work again until it's really necessay. Pay the extra bucks and wait till they arrive before you start.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by weebur
I replaced both of my axle joints with Duralast Gold less than 5K ago. While working on something else last week I decided to check for any play...damned passenger side is showing signs of wear already. Driver's side is still OK. I usually go with NAPA parts...live and learn. I think I went with Autozone because they had them in stock and figured they would last about 50K or so. Yeah there's a lifetime warrant but who want to do all that work again until it's really necessay. Pay the extra bucks and wait till they arrive before you start.
im just going to return the duralast then and either get a precision or order a spicer. thats what my Heep came with and its lasted 75k.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Engine: 4.0

Never had any issues with duralast joints. A club member of mine kept breaking rear shaft spicer u-joints and replaced it with a duralast gold and its still holding strong. In my opinion OEM spec u joints are just that no matter what brand you buy.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by MuscleHead
Never had any issues with duralast joints. A club member of mine kept breaking rear shaft spicer u-joints and replaced it with a duralast gold and its still holding strong. In my opinion OEM spec u joints are just that no matter what brand you buy.

i might keep it just incase my front axle u joint blows on a trail. im on 32s on stock gears so theres more strain the usually. its only $12 so if it breaks it nothing, just a pain to have to fix it even though it has a lifetime warranty, but wheelin' isnt considered normally wear and tear. Its normal in a Jeep.