Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drum brake replacement issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6
Default Drum brake replacement issues

Hey bros, need some help here.

I've got a 94 XJ that I replaced the rear shoes and hardware a few months back and I've had a few issues ever since.

1. Even after tightening to the point where it won't go any farther, the E-brake will not completely grab on to the drums. I used to be able to whip my tail around, it has been very weak since and barely holds the jeep in place.
I've considered clipping the spring surrounding the e-brake cable inside the drum so it'll travel farther and hopefully grab onto the pads, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

2. The self adjuster cable from the new hardware is slightly too long and is not taunt enough for the shoes to self adjust.
I've considered the fact that maybe by accident I got a adjuster cable from a 10" setup mixed in with my 9" hardware, but I don't know how likely that is. My buddy just did his rear drums today and it took him 3 trips to O'rielly's and Advance to get the right hardware, so I'm considering a hardware mixup in my case as a possibility.

3. The brakes were always a bit spongy since I got it, thats why I went and replaced the rear in the first place, but instead off getting better, it got worse, and I've replaced the front pads and bled the system multiple times.
I've thought that perhaps I need to replace my master cylinder or upgrade it with one from a ZJ, but I want to see if the problem is at the shoes before I go and throw money in that direction.

4. and more recently, in the last month or so, they'd squeak for a second every now and then when I go to brake, but in the last few days, especially after yesterday when I rotated my tires, which is now almost every time I brake

I've taken it to brakes plus for a free inspection and the guy told me that "The half moon shape of the self adjuster clip is in the wrong hole". FOOL! There is no other hole!
So I don't know what that guy was talking about. I'm going to try going to various shops to see what they say, but in the meantime I want to hear what you guys think.

Has anyone else besides me and my buddy had trouble with their drums after they changed them, and does anybody have any remidies? And has anyone tried ripping the disks off another vehicle to put on the rear?
Please! !!!
Old 03-04-2018, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

Replaced the wheel cylinder too?
Old 03-04-2018, 04:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Adjust the rears up ?
Old 03-04-2018, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by EEVEE
Replaced the wheel cylinder too?
I've considered it, I may have to

Update: Correct, I did. Took me a second to realize you were talking about the WHEEL cylinder, not the MASTER cylinder. Brain fart

Last edited by Callsign-Rio; 03-05-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Adjust the rears up ?
I've tried, I may have to take more time to do it, course that will probably require to take my wheels off a couple times. I'll just have to suck it up and do it, though I'm dreading it.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

For the squeeking, did you put brake grease on the recommended spots where the shoe parts hit the brake back plate? I rarely did that when I did drum brakes but I found out lately that my VW really likes to squeak without it.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Were the drums replaced or miced & turned?
Old 03-05-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Replace the brake adjusters and adjust correctly. Your E-Brake will work like new.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:24 PM

Thankfully, and strangely, the squeaking has subsided, so I don't what that was all about, other than the fact that I had just rotated my tires when they started going full blown squeal every time I stopped.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:33 PM

No, but I've considered it. I know for a fact that they are uneven, I had tightened them up at one point to the point that I could feel the whole body move back and forth when I'd brake and the rears would lock up even on asphalt if I hit too hard. Needless to say, I loosened them up to avoid that
Old 03-05-2018, 06:38 PM

I take it you're talking about the adjusters at the bottom of the drum? Yes, I replaced them with the rest of the hardware when I did all my shoes and I've tried adjusting them a few times already, I just can't quite get them right. And I just found out today during another attempt to adjust them that the E-brake only works on my driver side, even thought both cables are taunt when I pull. I'll attempt more adjusting tomorrow