Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drum Brake??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Drum Brake??

So I'm about jump into fixing my drum brakes. Total rookie when it comes to working on cars but I'm handy enough to figure it out. Anyways I need to replace my driver side wheel cylinder. So I'm gonna do both wheel cylinders and shoes. My question is do I need to get all new hardware? And how do I know if drums need replaced?
Old 03-02-2016, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Wouldn't hurt to get all new hardware, pretty sure it's reccomended, and it's only about $15 extra. Just check the inside for visible grooves. I'm sure there's some minimum thickness, I usually just give them a visual inspection and make the call on replacing.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Agreed on getting the new hardware and the minimum thickness for drums. Honestly though drums wear really slowly since the fronts do most of the braking. My XJ has 200k and is only on it's 2nd set of drums.

Make sure to soak the brake line fittings going to the wheel cylinders in PB blaster beforehand. Stripping those is never fun.

Also you will soon find out how much fun drum brakes are.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend doing one side at a time so you can refer to the other one for reference when you can't figure out how all the springs, levers and pins fit together. Drum brakes can be like an evil jigsaw puzzle even for ppl who have done a few of them. Definitely get new hardware.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

^^Yes! Good call.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Figured I'd need new hardware. I have a suspicion I'm going to need new drums as well. I don't know if they've ever been replaced, but I'm thinking no. I'll find out tomorrow or this weekend. I'm gonna have a buddy help me so at least we can split the headache. Was gonna flush my radiator today... Until I couldn't get the factory hose clamps off. Heard those are tons of fun as well. Probably just buy new hoses and cut the clamps/hoses off.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:17 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 165,00 Miles

a new set of drums is about 80 bucks. Make it all new (then you can forget about them) if you have the funds
Old 03-02-2016, 04:35 PM

Besides the fact I'll probably need new drums, I'd like just to get new ones to know its taken care of. Sounds like that's what I'm gonna do.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ColonelForbin
Besides the fact I'll probably need new drums, I'd like just to get new ones to know its taken care of. Sounds like that's what I'm gonna do.
Don't forget they come in both 9" and 10" versions.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:13 AM

X7 on new hardware
I have a part time job at advance and I always try to upsell the hardware kit (they usually run about $8) most times people tell me they don't need them then spend 10$ in gas running back and forth to get the hardware once they have it taken apart and can't find a spring or other various pin or clip that comes in the kit. Also +1 on the leave one side together for reference seems like every time I replace drums I forget that step and stand around scratching my head figuring out how to put it back together and tell myself I'll never do that again
Old 03-03-2016, 02:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Listen if the budget permits just do it all. You have to replace the wheel cylinder which means you have to bleed. You most likely have 9" drums. Are they finned? If not probably 9". Do the brake lines go into the wheel cylinders straight or at an angle? If they go in straight you have 9". I did a complete, and I mean complete, rear brake job on my '00 last year. Check the long line from the proportioning valve to the brake hose on the rear diff. They like to rot. Napa drums are decent. Do not buy Napa TS shoes. Pay a little extra and buy the UP's. I used all Napa parts. Buy the maxi hardware kit. Buy new adjusters. If you buy new brake lines use the good cooper/nickel alloy ones. I say replace the rear hose. Have a set of flare nut wrenchs. In the old days what Orlo said was a must. Now we have the internet so there are plenty of pictures online to see.

Last edited by Ralph77; 03-03-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

x2 on new adjusters as well. they are right/left specific also.

and new hardware is a must.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:59 AM

Sounds like I'm gonna go ahead and do the whole thing then. Probably wait until next weekend, supposed to have some nice weather here in Indiana. I'm gonna post the parts list I've made here in a bit just to double check I've got everything I'm gonna need
Old 03-03-2016, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ColonelForbin
Sounds like I'm gonna go ahead and do the whole thing then. Probably wait until next weekend, supposed to have some nice weather here in Indiana. I'm gonna post the parts list I've made here in a bit just to double check I've got everything I'm gonna need
You believe weather predictions in our great state? But as they say if you don't like the weather in Indiana wait till tomorrow
I was going to run to Illinois to pull a part but it said it was raining and would be all day,its still dry and I lost a good junkyard day...
Old 03-04-2016, 08:34 AM

Ha I know better than to trust our weather forecast. With that being said looks like I'm gonna have to do this as cheap possible. Wife had emergency surgery Wednesday. So gonna try to get by with just drums, cylinders, and shoes plus new hardware if I can. If not so be it

Quick Reply: Drum Brake??