Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driving without tailgate question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Driving without tailgate question

My jeep is a 2000 cherokee chop top. the previous owner chopped it and i just bought it as is. The tailgate was just moved up behind the seat and everything works normally, it's just not sealed properly. I plan on taking it off, caging it and putting a soft top on it within this month.

Main question..
Is it safe to drive without the tailgate for a few days while I get all the measurements for the cage and top?

currently have t&t frame stiffeners but nothing else to maintain structure.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Your concern with running without the tail gate in place is the possibility of accumulating exhaust fumes in the passenger compartment and theft of the vehicle.

On the exhaust fumes, if you keep the windows open and run the fan to bring in a forced set of fresh air when the engine is running you should be fine.

On the theft aspect I do not have good suggestions
Old 06-30-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I know when I leave my hatch open to haul my lawnmower around the exhaust comes right in the opening, and that's with the exhaust coming out in the stock location. Just keep the blower on high and/or the windows down and use common sense.

Structurally speaking it won't hurt anything either, especially with frame stiffeners.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:06 AM

Year: '93
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)

I just gotta say, I LOVE the look of the rear chop! I've seem some rather shoddy ones, but that one actually looks rather well done as much as is visible. I think someday I might have a go at it after I get a good cage, but that won't be for a while down the road. As for theft, you could go with a battery cut off switch, or just pull an ignition, fuel pump or computer fuse, or all three!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:23 AM

Year: 2001

I'm not too concerned about theft because it's in my site 90% of the time at home and work. I'm thinking about installing some sort of kill switch hidden under the dash once the doors are removable.

I already get some fumes but i currently have a ton of blankets and tarps blocking most of it stuffed behind the seats. It definitely looks pretty redneck right now but that'll change
Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM

Year: '93
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)

Originally Posted by agrasso5567
I'm not too concerned about theft because it's in my site 90% of the time at home and work. I'm thinking about installing some sort of kill switch hidden under the dash once the doors are removable.

I already get some fumes but i currently have a ton of blankets and tarps blocking most of it stuffed behind the seats. It definitely looks pretty redneck right now but that'll change
I'd like to make mine removable as well and it seems easy enough. Found a guide a while back that explained to cut off the bottom half, I believe it was, of the hinge, then just slide them on and off with the hinge pin. Might go so far as to someday make a set of drop in tube doors