Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driving lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Driving lights?

Hey all!

Time for another noob question of the day...err night...well actually it's morning, whatever. ANYWAY im looking to install some driving lights on my 2000 cherokee to improve the lighting. Only problem is im not very mechanically inclined and im worried about wiring them in. Is it complicated? Do i wire them directly to the battery? What about the switch. I havent bought the lights yet seeing as im still on the ball. Also, would i just drill some holes in my front bumper and bolt them on there? Sorry about the questions guys. Maybe i would be better off replacing my normal headlight bulbs? Any thoughts on that? Whats with these HID bulbs? Do they work with a normal wiring harness or do i have to change that?

Anyway any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:36 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I have the HID light kit. It is an expensive kit, about $300. However, I found it cheaper, and decided to get it. It uses the stock wiring and power source, however, ballasts need to be mounted. These are basically to amplify the power that will be sent to the light bulb, the 6k, 8k, 10k or 12k bulb. 6k is a clear light, 8k (what i have) a white light, 10k is a blue, and 12k is purple.

I say, for the average person, just use new lamp housing from sylvania, and use their silver star lights. Its a cheaper and more simple way then the HID. Granted though, the HID will last forever and will always shine brighter.

(e-mail me for pictures if you want)

Last edited by Doobie; 10-05-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be 2 holes already on your bumper for lights. Id go to Wal mart and get a pair of BAJAs for $20 . Comes with everything you need. I have 2 pair on my roof rack and they work great.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

ya bajas are the way to go. mine arent legal in city cuz I beefed up internal wring and theyre way bright but it you keep stock bajas all you have to do is plug in the green wire with the "c" shaped bass to the AUX port of your fuse block, down by drivers feet on left then run to switch then to lights then ground the lights
Old 10-07-2009, 12:46 AM

BAJA's are actually the exact lights i've been looking at. But thanks for the input...if i have time this weekend i might take a run over to wally world, pick up a set and give it a whirl.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

ou cant go wrong, but get a different switch, I hate the cheap square ones, get the ligh up or chrome 10 amp. if you some how loose power to your radio or dome light dont worry, the radio and dome fuses are connected to AUX port. another reason to disconect your battery first
Old 10-07-2009, 11:57 PM

Year: 1997

Let us know how you like the baja's.... I still prefer the HID's.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:20 AM

Thanks again for all the input guys. I'll keep you posted. As for the holes in the bumper...I don't see them. Now granted I just glanced it on my way out this morning,but any specific place they're at? Also, any step by step directions as to install the lights? Or should that come with the BAJA's? Again, sorry about the questions I know they seem minor to you but i really apprecitate the help.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Originally Posted by shooter5635
Thanks again for all the input guys. I'll keep you posted. As for the holes in the bumper...I don't see them. Now granted I just glanced it on my way out this morning,but any specific place they're at? Also, any step by step directions as to install the lights? Or should that come with the BAJA's? Again, sorry about the questions I know they seem minor to you but i really apprecitate the help.
Not sure about the holes being there, if you dont have any its not hard to make some

as for the wiring and stuff most light kits come with them but heres a general break down of how to wire them

black wires off of lights, ground them out to a good chassis point, they can be connected and put into one "o ring" connector for ease, the two power wires to the lights should connect into one wire, and run into the cab to your toggle, run a constantly hot power wire from the battery (dont forget the in line fuse (usually a 15 amp i believe..)) and run that into the cab to the toggle too, just pay attention where they connect correctly on the toggle and youre good to go.......if its a lighted toggle just run a short ground wire off of the switch somewhere nearby to get the light in the switch to work (again make sure the wires are in the correct positions on the back of the switch it should come with directions)

I have always found it handy to have extra wiring on hand if the kit comes with the wiring like most do.....they never seem to have the right lengths for the wires.....
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by shooter5635
Mine has 2 plastic covers from the factory on top of the bumper.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by troy fritz
Mine has 2 plastic covers from the factory on top of the bumper.

Is this plastic cover what your talking about? (see image) im assuming it is because they are two (one on each corner) and they're only being held on my a couple wing nuts from what i can see.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 PM
CF Veteran

No.they are 2 little round circles inbetween the bumper guards on top of the bumper. Between the headlights in front of the grill.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Lights installed! Lovin the BAJA's. Had some time today after school so i went to wally world and picked up a set. Luckily my dad had a bunch of better electric fittings than they gave me because the ones that came in the kit were crap. Had a little trouble feeding the wires through the firewall and physically mounting the rocker (only because i was hesitant to start hacking at my paneling) but it all came together rather well all considered. Thanks again for everything guys.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee

looks good-hope to do the same soon. did those stone guards come w/ the walmart kit?

Last edited by 4x4Jeep; 10-10-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chero93
looks good-hope to do the same soon. did those stone guards come w/ the walmart kit?
They did. This is the BAJA kit from walmart. It was only $25 with tax for both lights. The lights seem rather sturdy being as cheap as they were. Some of the electrical fitting could be....slightly...better? AKA they were crap.

Quick Reply: Driving lights?