Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Drivers Door won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Drivers Door won't Open

Hey, just picked up a 95 Jeep Cherokee for a buddy of mine. The drivers door won't open. Seems to be a door lock problem. Manually turning the key on the door, the door handle button has no friction like if the door is still locked. Also inside the door lock won't move all the way to the unlock position, doesnt matter how much force I give it. I'm guessing the actuator is frozen. Is this vehicle easily slim jim? Or has anyone encountered this before and have any tips? Thanks
Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6 OHV 12V FI Engine

Originally Posted by bad_4dr_sho
Hey, just picked up a 95 Jeep Cherokee for a buddy of mine. The drivers door won't open. Seems to be a door lock problem. Manually turning the key on the door, the door handle button has no friction like if the door is still locked. Also inside the door lock won't move all the way to the unlock position, doesnt matter how much force I give it. I'm guessing the actuator is frozen. Is this vehicle easily slim jim? Or has anyone encountered this before and have any tips? Thanks
I had a similar issue with my 97 the door was opening but would stick sometimes and not lock from the inside or outside. I ended up taking off the inside handle and door pannel until i got at the metal rod that goes from the inside handle to lock/latch. I removed it so i cant use the inside handle to open the door. After removing that rod the door opened shut and locked with no issues. The only downside being that I have to reach outside to open the door. I know not the most practical fix but hey it was free and it worked.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

That works, I took apart the inside door handle, but I didn't remove the door panel, I didn't think I could with the door closed. But if I can, I'm going to try and follow that door lock rod back.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6 OHV 12V FI Engine

Originally Posted by bad_4dr_sho
That works, I took apart the inside door handle, but I didn't remove the door panel, I didn't think I could with the door closed. But if I can, I'm going to try and follow that door lock rod back.
You may not be able to without breaking some of the trip. I was lucky enough to get the door open. On a plus note if you break the pannel you can buy a new pannel since there are some on sale on cf.