Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

drivers door only opens from inside?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default drivers door only opens from inside?

On my 2000 cherokee sport the drivers door will not open from the outside. But it opens perfectly from the inside. a quick look with the door pannel off looks like all the rods are hooked up for the lock and door handle. could there be some accuator or electric motor for power locks that went bad? is this a common problem? any ideas guys?
Old 07-22-2011, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

Not sure if your '00 is the same but this works on my '88 and my '90

Open the nonworking door and look for a small lozenge shaped plastic plug (marked "A" on the pic) on the edge of the door just by the latch. Carefully pry out the plug and if you look inside the hole you will see an allen head bolt, on my 2 jeeps it's 5/32, loosen it and with the allen wrench still inside the bolt head pull upward along the slotted hole and tighten the bolt (marked "B" on the pic) Now before you replace the plastic plug, close the door and see if your adjustment worked. If the adjustment didn't work try again (sometimes you have to play with it a bit to get things set up)
Attached Thumbnails drivers door only opens from inside?-image-2014653925.jpg  
Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

messed with it for 20 mins. that adjustment did nothing. I can see that the outside button on the handle is pushing the rod up and down. it seems to move correctly, but i can not see where it hooks to the latch. maybe the latch is broken or the rod is broken where it mounts to the latch. it started raining on me so i went inside.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

Originally Posted by Bad00SS
messed with it for 20 mins. that adjustment did nothing. I can see that the outside button on the handle is pushing the rod up and down. it seems to move correctly, but i can not see where it hooks to the latch. maybe the latch is broken or the rod is broken where it mounts to the latch. it started raining on me so i went inside.
Man, I know what you're saying about the rain, I have to do all my work on a dirt driveway and it seems like I get one sunny day followed by three days of staring out the window at a half finished job.
What this pic shows is the back side of the latch mechanism. #1 is the short rod that goes from the handle to the latch. If the rod is still attached to the handle, reach your fingers in and try to move the rod side to side, not up and down. If it's still attached at the latch end you won't be able to move it. If the rod moves at all, then it has come undone from the latch. If you find that the rod is still hooked up at both ends, and the adjustment didn't work, you have a broken latch and it can't be repaired.
Before you decide to go out and buy a new latch, you should give the adjustment another try. This time spray a bit of penetrating oil or WD 40 on the bolt after you've loosened it then push in the outside button a few times to loosen everything up and then try the adjustment again. When you do try the adjustment, don't push on the button because that loosens everything and we're trying to tighten it up.
Let me know what's happening and I'll try to get some better pics if that will help.
Attached Thumbnails drivers door only opens from inside?-image-113770838.jpg