Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

driveline help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default driveline help

I've been noticing some odd noises from underneath and I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on. I can't tell if it's a bad front pinion bearing, not proper backlash/bearing preload in rear diff or just a bad four wheel drive shaft joints at t-case. I get a slight whine noise when Jeep is coasting faster than what I'm pressing pedal at and I get vibes that start to get noticeable at around 63-65 and it seems like right under me but the whine I feel like I hear from the back. It's not even that loud but barely noticeable. I did my rear diff two months ago and I drove out to Connecticut from NY and back and had no issues which was two months ago right after dif replace in rear. Any ideas on what Ishould start picking out for the issue?
Also if it helps I have done all u joints except from DS CV joint. Have done all wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, etc. The front pinion seems to have a little play and leaking. My rear doesn't seem to have any play and fluid is right level with check plug and hasn't moved since I installed dif.

Last edited by Justin Carter; 04-07-2017 at 06:39 PM. Reason: forgot to add more info