Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The dreaded instrument cluster isssue!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default The dreaded instrument cluster isssue!

Yes, just like all of those before, intermittent gauage drop! Researched to no avail! However, I pulled the overhead console and unplugged the Keylesss entry module and BAM! Gauges came to life! ???? Anyone have any idea of where to go from here? Of course, when I unplugged the keyless entry system, it through a check engine light on!! Ugh! I am literally pulling my hair out, well, what is left of it! LOL Does anyone understand the relationship between the keyless entry system and dropped gauges? Through all of my research, I have come to the conclusion, that it is a ground issue? If you research the instrument cluster phenomenon on the extra, you will find there are several different anomalies That people have experienced in finding a fix! At this point in time, I think that I have found six separate fixes to the problem? Which leads me to believe, that it is a ground issue??? Any feedback would be very much appreciated!
Old 06-04-2017, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If you unplugged the RKE Module and the cluster came back to life I would think that the RKE Module is corrupting the CCD Bus.

Replace the RKE Module (printed circuit board) and see if it is the fix.

I don't think you are dealing with a ground issue here.

Here's a schematic that shows the RKE Module interface with the CCD Bus along with the other modules on the bus.

Name:  CCDBusrev1_11_15.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  524.8 KB