Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Doors Locking. My Jeep Possessed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Doors Locking. My Jeep Possessed?

I asked this same question on a another forum and thought I'd ask here too.
I have a 99 Cherokee with power windows and power locks. About 2-3 months ago it started to lock on its own, with no key in the ignition or sometimes it does it while going down the road. I did search and just to be clear it does not have an aftermarket alarm system. I did have the drivers door replaced right before it started. Alot of times when it locks it will continue to try to lock a few more times. Trying to manually unlock it can be a chore because it acts like the power lock is holding it locked. From what I have read it could be the master switch.
Is there anything else I could check?
Old 08-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are probably experiencing the exact same thing as I had. What happens is that over the years the wires going through door break and short out. Initially my passenger side speaker didn't work. This was due to a broken/shorted wire also. You'll have to pull the door off and pull all the wires back and I'm sure you will find it. I had to always make sure I had my keys in my pocket when I wasn't in my Jeep cause I never knew when it was going to decide to lock itself.

Note: Mark everything on your door hinges before you take it off. I had a hell of a time aligning everything back up on the first door I did.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

1st thing to check is the connector to the switch. I would bet it is not plugged in properly. Remove your door panel and check.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the reply's. The broken wires seems to be the consistant solution.
Checking the connections is the easiest so I'll start there.
EloXJ that is exactly where I am at right now. Always making sure the keys are in my hand before I get out.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:42 PM

Default FIXED

It looks like it is fixed. Luckily is was a loose connection. When the door was replaced it seems that one of the connectors wasn't plugged in all the way.
I took the kick panel off and started to wiggle some wires and the locks started to move. When pulled on the bundle I ended up with the plug in my hand. Once I found where it needed to go I made sure I heard a click when I plugged it back in (I can only assume the body shop didn't make sure it was connected). The locks are working again. Thanks for the help.