Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door Wiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: N/A
Default Door Wiring Issue

Hey guys...Im having an issue with my passenger door. Sometimes the switches don't work, sometimes the speaker doesn't work...But recently the switches have been fine but the speaker is out. I recently got a new headunit and new speakers, put em in but the driver door still does not work. So what could be the problem and how do I find a solution?
Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

The grommet for wiring to go into door is suspect. Jeep was notorious for using cheap, generic wiring harnesses that often had all of the connections for fog lights, etc.. So pull the plastic panel that is covering over fuse box, this will allow you to see the wires and where they go into the door. Find out which color wires your looking for and check them out. Also of you just replaced the head unit then all wiring should be good at that end... Got subs, btw? Always like hearing about people's stereos! I just got some new alpine 6.5" s-types for the rear.. So clean!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by VTJeep
The grommet for wiring to go into door is suspect. Jeep was notorious for using cheap, generic wiring harnesses that often had all of the connections for fog lights, etc.. So pull the plastic panel that is covering over fuse box, this will allow you to see the wires and where they go into the door. Find out which color wires your looking for and check them out. Also of you just replaced the head unit then all wiring should be good at that end... Got subs, btw? Always like hearing about people's stereos! I just got some new alpine 6.5" s-types for the rear.. So clean!
2 8" kickers and power acoustik amp are on order
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I hear, this is a very common problem.

I know my XJ certainly has this issue. First, the window lockout switch was inactive, disabling the passenger door switches entirely - I had to control everything from the driver's door.

Then the driver's door speaker started to cut in and out, then completely out, and has not come back on.

Now the passenger front door speaker is cutting in and out. Only a matter of time before it stops working completely.

The problem, as I understand it, is the wiring where it passes between the body of the vehicle, and the door. It either breaks from years of bending when the door opens and closes, or gets rubbed through from the body metal.

Solution would obviously be to replace the wires and wrap them in some better form of protection.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, sounds sort of like the problems that I had. Except that the front speakers in my 2000 XJ limited sounded like TOTAL crap after I put in the new head unit. (They sounded bad before, but I'm thinking the new head unit may have been pushing more power at them, hence worse sound?)

Then I pulled the worst sounding speaker and hooked in a new Polk 6.5's and I got NO sound at all. Perfect. Just perfect.

In order to get things straightened out, I eventually just said "F" it and re-wired both front speakers. Sounds great now though.

In my opinion, if you know anything at all about car stereos, (and I have to admit I don't know all that much . . . ) you may be better off just starting from scratch. Jeep did some weird stuff with the way they set up their sound systems in the XJ's, what with the random amps and stuff . . . and don't even get me started on their wire coloring . . . what the hell?

OH! Before I forget, something to consider . . . could have been a contributing factor on my issues and maybe on yours too(?). Just a weird coincidence, but, on the day I went to put in my passenger side door speaker, it just-so-happened that I had washed my Jeep. When I pulled the factory speaker, I noticed that there was water inside my door. I thought that was weird, but when you pull your speakers, you'll see a little vinyl/plastic liner that goes behind the factory speakers at least half-way down. This seems to indicate to me that Jeep expected, to some degree, that there would be water in there from the windows or elsewhere. Otherwise, why put the drip protection in there.

Another wierd coincidence was that the 6.5's I put in just happened to be marine (boat) speakers, so hopefully they'll still be cool until I can figure out where the water's coming from and put a stop to it.

Beyond that, and not to hijack the thread, I'm planning on installing a single 8' sub in one of those XJpods here one of these days. Not wanting to get too crazy, but if anyone has any suggestions on amps, I'd love to hear 'em.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Teephphah
Hey, sounds sort of like the problems that I had. Except that the front speakers in my 2000 XJ limited sounded like TOTAL crap after I put in the new head unit. (They sounded bad before, but I'm thinking the new head unit may have been pushing more power at them, hence worse sound?)

Then I pulled the worst sounding speaker and hooked in a new Polk 6.5's and I got NO sound at all. Perfect. Just perfect.

In order to get things straightened out, I eventually just said "F" it and re-wired both front speakers. Sounds great now though.

In my opinion, if you know anything at all about car stereos, (and I have to admit I don't know all that much . . . ) you may be better off just starting from scratch. Jeep did some weird stuff with the way they set up their sound systems in the XJ's, what with the random amps and stuff . . . and don't even get me started on their wire coloring . . . what the hell?

OH! Before I forget, something to consider . . . could have been a contributing factor on my issues and maybe on yours too(?). Just a weird coincidence, but, on the day I went to put in my passenger side door speaker, it just-so-happened that I had washed my Jeep. When I pulled the factory speaker, I noticed that there was water inside my door. I thought that was weird, but when you pull your speakers, you'll see a little vinyl/plastic liner that goes behind the factory speakers at least half-way down. This seems to indicate to me that Jeep expected, to some degree, that there would be water in there from the windows or elsewhere. Otherwise, why put the drip protection in there.

Another wierd coincidence was that the 6.5's I put in just happened to be marine (boat) speakers, so hopefully they'll still be cool until I can figure out where the water's coming from and put a stop to it.

Beyond that, and not to hijack the thread, I'm planning on installing a single 8' sub in one of those XJpods here one of these days. Not wanting to get too crazy, but if anyone has any suggestions on amps, I'd love to hear 'em.
this is the 2nd time im using a power acoustik amp. Great for the money

OH THE WIRE COLORING! Why cant is just be red and black!? Its ridiculous....red with white stripe, blue with yellow stripe, orange, purple....like wtf how about black for neg and red for pos!!!!