Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 11:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Door Questions

Hello everyone. alright i know i made a post before about this but quickly to the point, my door had no check pins so the door kept hitting the stops on the hinge thus pulling it out more and more to the point of now having a gap in the door seal as the door is now pulled away from the body, is there an easy way to push it back in? if not i was thinking of simply getting some sticky back door foam and put it where the door seals up to so i dont have a pool of water in my floorpans. but i want to do it right the first time what would it involve to adjust it? i was thinking of taking the door off the hinge as unscrewing it and then maybe bashing it with a hammer a bit and not hard i know how shallow these are but just to make it squeeze the seal. other ways would be appreciated. i will post pictures tomorrow to show what im dealing with thank you and goodnight.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EEVEE
Hello everyone. alright i know i made a post before about this but quickly to the point, my door had no check pins so the door kept hitting the stops on the hinge thus pulling it out more and more to the point of now having a gap in the door seal as the door is now pulled away from the body, is there an easy way to push it back in? if not i was thinking of simply getting some sticky back door foam and put it where the door seals up to so i dont have a pool of water in my floorpans. but i want to do it right the first time what would it involve to adjust it? i was thinking of taking the door off the hinge as unscrewing it and then maybe bashing it with a hammer a bit and not hard i know how shallow these are but just to make it squeeze the seal. other ways would be appreciated. i will post pictures tomorrow to show what im dealing with thank you and goodnight.
man , get check pin at junk yard for a few bucks at least for driver door!! buy new door at same place. a stich in time saves nine huh.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:03 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Depending on the year XJ you have, the hinge mechanism will be different. But I find it hard to believe the door and bolts on the door/hinge side pulled away. Probably the hinge is bent or the welds on the frame side (if you have welds there) are pulling away.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

I have 4 door checks fo free if you want them plus shipping
Old 05-28-2017, 12:26 AM
CF Veteran

its a 99 cherokee and a whole door? thats gonna be hard to find without traveling 97 up cherokees are rare to find in yards where i live but i plan to make a trip sometime next month and the list keeps adding up lol. but wouldnt i be able to just bent or push it back into place? also with the door checks the po took it off because it kept snapping and annoyed him... little did he know it is an important item lol. i noticed they have bolts holding them on so i assumed you can take the door off and maybe bend it back a little its like a millimeter gap but enough to show sunlight and get soaked.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:22 AM

If you have pics, post them.

Hopefully the bolts came loose and the door needs realigning by undoing the bolts shifting it a bit. It has some play.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

ugh sorry just got home and these are crappy pictures as they are at night but those were the screws i was talking about can they come off?

this is the rubber seal i tried sticking some rope behind it to push it out more but seems that didnt work at all

this is the top door hinge its rusty but seems to be solid

closer picture of it i already replaced the door pin inside

and the bottom of the top hinge

and this is the bottom hinge sorry i couldnt get lower i hurt my back and cant bend down

here is the seal im testing for fit and use

seems to fit well im getting a longer piece

this is where the gap is on the seal and the test piece of that door seal i was talking about

man you can fit a semi through there

i stuck a light to show theres a gap that lighter part is the gap anf how far the door is out

heres the outside part of the door
Old 05-28-2017, 08:49 PM
CF Veteran

whoa looking closer i didnt realize the top hinge was that bad
Old 05-29-2017, 07:44 AM

Yup, the top hinge on the body side is pulling away from the welds which is throwing the door out of alignment.

Time for some welding.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Looks like someone has already done some welding. Those welds look terrible, they must be someone's attempt at a repair. It looks like someone may have replaced the hinges on the body side. Perhaps they didn't fit them up correctly, throwing the alignment of the door off.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

are the body lines on the door off compared to the body and did you try adjusting the door latch clip. its what your door locks on when its closed. I think its a t50 or 60 star head move it in some to help your door close more
Old 05-29-2017, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

no i have not done anything in terms of adjustment yet. thats why i asked here first before i mess something up. so the door clip is the latch that clicks onto the striker correct? also the hinge doesnt look bad or feel loose at all the door is solid when moving it up and down and yes i talked with the po he had someone weld it before but seems he didnt do a good job. why must doors be so complicated lol.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

I would take it a body shop. It may need door pins as a minimum which you can get at NAPA and maybe a small weld or two.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

the door pins are replaced already took alot of work but theyre in lol. this is after the pins are in and noticed that gap in there and the pool of water on my floor thank god i dont have carpets yet.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

It appears to me that the po had rust damage and welded a new plate to door side and then welded the hinge on top of added plate. That would make that hinge stick out too far to align properly. Door might latch but door can't come closer to seal for alignment. Look at the other sides door hinge and measure thickness of that plate behind hinge, maybe that one is still original.

If your in the neighborhood I have a hammer that will move that hinge many inches inward if needed, it will be as good a fix as that weld job.

There was a thread on how to fix those rusted out body panel behind hinge to re attach hinge with just bolts and some backing plate.. I'll look for it.

Last edited by Oswalla; 05-31-2017 at 01:34 AM.