Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

door panel removal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default door panel removal?

I have a 99 cherokee classic and the window lock on the driver door quit working. Once in a while it will let the other passengers open their windows but usually not. If I hit the window lock button several times it might let the other windows work for one or two times and let it gets locked again. I can roll all the windows up and down with no problems. I was wondering what the easiest way to remove the door panel is or if there is an easier way to get to the switch.
Thanks,
Luke
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I believe there's 2 screws under the arm rest, pull them out. Rotate the arm rest 90 degrees down ward. then that should pull out. Start at the bottom, and undo the panel retaining clips. I used a "wonder Bar". After all the panel clips are free, UN screw the window control panel (switches), and push it thru the interior door panel hole. You can now lift the interior door panel straight up, to get it out of the window jam. The switch panel can be pulled out alone, and fixed, replaced. They become warn. (especially the drivers side.) But if you end up pulling the panel off. It would be good time. To replace the plastic clips on the locking rod. ( there cheap, and commonly break, with age, and use.) Also while your in there, think about replacing those crappy factory front door speakers. If you still have problems with it, check the wires that run from the door, to the body, through the rubber (boot) sleeve. It's a common spot for wires to break. Good luck to you. JMO!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by 91 limited owner
I believe there's 2 screws under the arm rest, pull them out. Rotate the arm rest 90 degrees down ward. then that should pull out. Start at the bottom, and undo the panel retaining clips. I used a "wonder Bar". After all the panel clips are free, UN screw the window control panel (switches), and push it thru the interior door panel hole. You can now lift the interior door panel straight up, to get it out of the window jam. The switch panel can be pulled out alone, and fixed, replaced. They become warn. (especially the drivers side.) But if you end up pulling the panel off. It would be good time. To replace the plastic clips on the locking rod. ( there cheap, and commonly break, with age, and use.) Also while your in there, think about replacing those crappy factory front door speakers. If you still have problems with it, check the wires that run from the door, to the body, through the rubber (boot) sleeve. It's a common spot for wires to break. Good luck to you. JMO!
X2 EXCELLENT advise... ...Tj