Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door painting question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Door painting question

Don't know if this belongs here or in "Modified", so if this is wrong, please forgive....

Hit a deer yesterday with my 1999 Cherokee Sport and took out the front driver's side fender and door. I found a door, but it need to be painted to match my "Chili Pepper" red. The door has the appropriate "CHEROKEE Sport" badge on it, and since it doesn't seem feasible to tape around it, I'm weighing my options. Has anyone had any experience removing these, and re-using them? Would it be better just to remove them on both sides of the Jeep to match?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-20-2013, 05:26 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Once you remove them it's very hard to replace them. Not that you can't add some glue and put them on but saving them during removal is the hard part. Use a razor blade and a heart gun and you should be able to get them off in decent shape. When I pulled the badging of my tailgate I didn't take my time so they are no longer on the jeep
Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Once you remove the sticker you can't reuse them. You can tape around it but I really don't think it would be worth the time or effort to do it. I have seen them for sale on line. But, I don't remember if it was on ebay or amazon. The easiest way to remove them is to use a heat gun or even a hair dryer to heat them and us a plastic or wood scrapper. Just make sure to keep the hair dryer moving and DO Not keep it in one place for to long or you will bubble the paint. Just take your time doing it.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987

I have reused the "CHEROKEE" emblems (3D words) but if the "sport" is a vinyl decal, I doubt you can reuse it. On the Cherokee letters, I soaked them in rubbing alcohol for a little bit which made the adhesive soft enough to rub off. I then used 3M automotive attachment tape like this
Amazon.com: 3M Scotch 06376 Automotive Attachment Tape, 30 mil: Arts, Crafts & Sewing Amazon.com: 3M Scotch 06376 Automotive Attachment Tape, 30 mil: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
I basically tape up the whole letter and then cut it out with scissors and xacto knife. Takes a bit of time to do.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably just remove them and forget it.