Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

door lock issue

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 l6
Default door lock issue

i just picked up a 2000 xj 4dr annd the guy swamped it. now everything works speakers power windows radio...everything. only thing is when u hit the power locks the passenger side front door doesnt work. the passenger rear is seized and the back hatch will not work. now with the passenger front and rear door u can hear the lock trying to engage but it isnt. the back just doesnt even work. any clues on what this can be? this is the only electrical issue i am having with the truck. and thts not too bad for bein swamped over the dash
Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

prob not from the water. jeep have locks that are notorious for being stubborn. usually the actuator that's bad. min give me trouble from time to time too
Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

the hatch might be a replaced one and wiring never got hooked up, or in classic jeep fashion, it has simply failed over the years... there is a write up on here about using a paper clip to just the two wires together to allow the passengers to use their windows. the other thing about the lcks is there are little plastic clips that connect the locking mech. to the arm, maybe its broke missing. or there is one lock that has siezed and is not allowing them to opporate noramally?
Old 08-05-2011, 11:06 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 l6

Originally Posted by VTJeep
the hatch might be a replaced one and wiring never got hooked up, or in classic jeep fashion, it has simply failed over the years... there is a write up on here about using a paper clip to just the two wires together to allow the passengers to use their windows. the other thing about the lcks is there are little plastic clips that connect the locking mech. to the arm, maybe its broke missing. or there is one lock that has siezed and is not allowing them to opporate noramally?

back hatch i believe isnt hooked up properly or something since im not hearing the power to it but it works with the key. the passenger locks may have to do with the one being seized ill rip it apart maybe tomarro and figure it out. its mainly all little problems tho. i cant believe i found this thing for 900 bucks!
Old 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM

Year: 1997

Had the exact same issue with my RF door too, ended up being the actuator, had to replace the latch assembly, but it all works good now.