Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door key pad entry system retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Door key pad entry system retrofit

After reading several posts about folks locking themselves out of their vehicles, I had a thought. Would it be possible to retrofit a key pad on the driver's door, like what comes stock on Ford Expeditions, among others? Has anyone here done this, or knows someone who has?

I located one after-market kit that is exactly what I had in mind, but it was priced at over $400. Too rich for my blood. I wonder if the equipment could be had at the JY for less? I wouldn't even know what to ask for when I called them.

I would be willing to be the guinea pig for this if someone would be willing to help me with the particulars, i.e. wiring, parts required, etc.

Please discuss.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would take a trip to the JY and find a vehicle with it then Buy the whole door. Take it apart slowly at the house and see how it all fits together. I am sure you will have to make mods to it, and probably run some more power. But if there is will then there is a way.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:46 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Dude that is a great idea i;d love to figure that one out. take about a lifesaver that would be llmao
Old 07-30-2010, 11:59 AM

Year: 1988

Write up!! Write up!! Write up!! =]
Old 07-30-2010, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You would need the key pad of course, but also the body computer out of the doner vehicle, and then try and wire it up and have it work properly...$400 don't sound too bad now.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:09 PM

Year: 2000

i just may have to go to the jy in a few weeks and see what i can find
Old 07-30-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know you would need the Remote Anti-theft Personality(RAP) module which is what controls the "codes" that the key pad uses. I would assume if you got the RAP out of one and feed it power then the keypad would be fairly easy to retrofit granted you could find a schematic of the RAP to see what all has to be connected and powered to operate.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:48 PM

Alrighty then, so here's what I managed to work up before I went to bed today:

1. There is another aftermarket unit that sells for approx $180. It is wireless and has a battery that is not user-serviceable. It is supposedly "universal" in application. This seems the path of least resistance, but for some reason, it makes me nervous. I will ferret out further details on this next week when I have some time off.

2. I spent some time on a Ford Explorer forum reading about how their keyless entry system works. It seems like there are two parts to it, the RAP, and something called the General Electronics Module. The second has something to do with the door sensors and overhead lighting. I am planning on finding out more about this next week as well.

3. I need to make a list of what vehicles this equipment came as a stock option in.

4. I figured that before I start in on hacking something into what I already have, I need to know exactly how it works. I guess this entails purchasing the 1996 shop manuals with wiring diagrams. This is probably where I will start. If anyone has any insight into the power lock wiring, as well as the existing keyless entry wiring, please post up, now is the time.

5. If this turns out to be feasible, not only practically, but financially, I will do a write-up, from start to finish.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help you out.

"Trucks built before 2-OCT-2000 have RAP module installed, trucks built after 2-OCT-2000 have a CSM installed in them to give you an idea of the cut off date."

So you know that anything after 10-2-00 have RAP.

Here is an install in a lightning that did not come with the key pad from the factory.

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how...ad_install.htm

Note since you are stripping this out of a car and not buying new look where the radio goes above that opening in the dash you should see a sticker or stamp in the plastic, this is the original 5 digit code that unlocks the doors.

That should get you going.
Attached Thumbnails Door key pad entry system retrofit-keypaddraw2.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Weou09; 07-30-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Nice. I'll look at that some more when I get home in the AM. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

http://www.a1electric.com/keypad.htm

Any shop that sells car alarms can get you one. These are sold by many diffrent alarm manufacturers.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Those might be good as a retrofit but i would never own a ford with a functional stock one. the code is on a sticker on the drivers side trunk hinge on sedan models. If a thief prys your trunk open they now have the code to easily come back and get into your car at a later date if they want.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by G_P
Those might be good as a retrofit but i would never own a ford with a functional stock one. the code is on a sticker on the drivers side trunk hinge on sedan models. If a thief prys your trunk open they now have the code to easily come back and get into your car at a later date if they want.
Yeah, I kinda gathered that from reading some stuff in that Explorer forum. I have no plans to put the module from whatever I decide to go with where someone could get at it, or at least easily. And besides, if someone REALLY wants your vehicle, they are going to get it. Period.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew0257
http://www.a1electric.com/keypad.htm

Any shop that sells car alarms can get you one. These are sold by many diffrent alarm manufacturers.
That looks interesting. I like the mobile home and truck option. I think part of what will drive "stock" vs. aftermarket will be price, as well as the "dick-around" factor. I love tinkering as much as the rest of you, please don't get me wrong, but there is a point of diminishing returns. On the other hand, I have a problem paying someone to do a job that I can reasonably do myself.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by G_P
I have the the keyless entry on my f-150 and the only place I know of where the factory code is is locked in my filing cabinet. It came on a card with the owners manual stating to put in a secure place. I have yet to find the code anywhere else stamped into the truck. Mine is a 2006 though. I can tell you I love the keyless entry system. No more carrying my keys around. I just chunk them in the center console and I am off. I absolutely love it and if I could have it on my Jeep I would.

Quick Reply: Door key pad entry system retrofit