Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door jamb button issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:32 PM
Baw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Door jamb button issue

On my 96 Cherokee driver side door the door jamb button has been replaced and the wiring has been checked what happens is when I turn the car on as soon as i open the door it starts to stall if I push my finger in on the door jamb it brings the idle up again has anybody had that problem and how do you fix it. I disconnected the door jamb button on the driver side and it runs fine I don't have the issue with the passenger side or the rear liftgate just the driver side. I do want to know what the problem is though because I'd like to hook the door jamb button up again and I don't want it to cause any other issues down the road.

Last edited by Baw; 12-11-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Adding information
The following users liked this post:
sesolo12 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

It was having the problem before replacing the door jam sensor (button) right? You are saying that the problem persists after replacing it and checking the wiring?

It may not be the door sensor itself, but one of the components that comes to life when the door is open. That door jam sensor is tied into a lot of other items (think dome lights, courtesy lights, door chime/buzzer, etc).

When I get home I'll take a look at the 96 FSM for the door jam sensor and see what the likely suspects are. But my guess is that one of those items is coming to life and taking out the ground of something else that ultimately (probably in some round about fashion) finds its way to the ASD relay or Fuel Pump power sources.

But believe it or not, a door sensor causing a running problem is not all that uncommon in older cars like ours. The circuits are all shared, which can create some strange relationships.
The following users liked this post:
sesolo12 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:19 PM
Baw

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
It was having the problem before replacing the door jam sensor (button) right? You are saying that the problem persists after replacing it and checking the wiring?

It may not be the door sensor itself, but one of the components that comes to life when the door is open. That door jam sensor is tied into a lot of other items (think dome lights, courtesy lights, door chime/buzzer, etc).

When I get home I'll take a look at the 96 FSM for the door jam sensor and see what the likely suspects are. But my guess is that one of those items is coming to life and taking out the ground of something else that ultimately (probably in some round about fashion) finds its way to the ASD relay or Fuel Pump power sources.

But believe it or not, a door sensor causing a running problem is not all that uncommon in older cars like ours. The circuits are all shared, which can create some strange relationships.
Thanks thanks I appreciate your help.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

So I have combed through the diagrams to try and find a clue. The main difference between the circuits involved with the drive door switch vs. the other ones is a relationship with the headlight switch. That doesn't necessarily mean anything yet, but I was looking for anything obviously different since you said the other switches don't produce the problem. For the fun of it you should see if you can reproduce the problem even when the headlight switch is in different positions. Report back on that.

From a big picture, the door jam switch is responsible for providing a ground (battery negative) for a variety of components, primarily interior lights and door buzzer related. Within the harness there is one main ground circuit (called Z1) and the door jamb switch closes a connection when the door is open that allows a path to that Z1 ground circuit (that ultimately ends up back at battery negative).

There are no obvious relationships to engine control components such as fuel pump relay, automatic shutdown relay, or sensors. But that just means the relationship isn't obvious, because the symptoms don't lie.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Baw

Default Door jamb issue

Originally Posted by jordan96xj

I I just had a thought I had put in an aftermarket stereo not too long ago everything was working fine until it got cold wasn't too long after I installed the aftermarket radio I used a plug-in wiring harness from the new radio to the existing wiring harness in the car so nothing was cut but there was a floating black wire which I assume is the ground I I dont remember I'd have to pull it back out but I think I connected that floating back wire to the back of the radio should I have connected it to the frame somewhere under the dash and would that be causing the door jamb issue with the idling problem?
Old 12-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Baw

Default Door jamb issue

I I tried the lights several different ways and it didn't change anything as long as that door jamb button is disconnected it idles fine and there is no problems
Old 12-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Baw

Default Still having problems with door jamb button issue

Okay so the ground on the radio is good and today I put new Inns on the battery cables clean them all really well and it's still hesitating when the door is open so I disconnected it again is anybody have any suggestions I really want to fix this but I don't know what else to look for thanks for your help.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts
Year: 1995 RHD
Engine: 4.0l

Just a suggestion but take a look in the main power distribution box, get a multimeter out and with someone else, read some voltages directly off of the fuses.

Have the engine running and door shut and while reading each fuse, open the door and see if any drop significantly. If so it may help find a link from there.

There is a lot in the diagrams to sift through and trace.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Baw

Originally Posted by boxburn
Just a suggestion but take a look in the main power distribution box, get a multimeter out and with someone else, read some voltages directly off of the fuses.

Have the engine running and door shut and while reading each fuse, open the door and see if any drop significantly. If so it may help find a link from there.

There is a lot in the diagrams to sift through and trace.
I'll I'll have to wait till I get some help thanks so much for the advice.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:59 PM
Baw

Default Regarding door jamb button

well hopefully I found the problem I had replaced a turn signal socket a while back and found the wiring was not correct had help rewiring it this morning I won't know till the morning because it usually does it when it's ice cold thanks for all your help from everybody.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 AM
Baw

Default Aggravating door jamb button

The rewiring of the signal did not fix the problem I'm getting sick of this....
Old 12-19-2018, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

Do you have an alarm? Or an autostarter?
Old 12-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Baw

Default Regarding door jamb button

No on both
Old 12-19-2018, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

My next troubleshooting step would be to get a DC amp clamp around the door jam sensor (button) wires, and see if the amperage shoots up when the button is open (door is open). If the amperage jumps up, this will indicate that something is shorting through the button when it is connected to ground (which is what it does when it is in the door-open position).

Do your door chimes/buzzers work as they should?

Because the other thing that could be at play here is that for whatever reason the door buzzer module creates tremendous RF (radio frequency) interference. Which can effect ignition in various ways. Is the buzzer going off when this problem happens?
Old 12-19-2018, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Do whatever is necessary to disconnect/disable the buzzer, and see if the problem still happens. Especially if this problem happened with both the old button and the new button.

When my buzzer is on my CB radio lights up like a Christmas tree. Giving and indication of the strong RF signals produced by the buzzer module. If this is happening over the right frequencies it can mess with a variety of things, not least of which is the magnetic/analog signal being produced by the crankshaft position sensor and cam position sensors. Both of which, when fuzzed up can cause immediate stalling issues.

For example, my idle dips lower than normal every time I stop at the intersection in my town by a brightly lit animated/LED bank sign that sits on the corner, as soon as I move away from the sign...my idle is normal again.

Older vehicles like ours were not very well shielded from this type of interference, so this test is important to rule out.

Quick Reply: Door jamb button issue