Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Door Adjustment Help

Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991 (2-door)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Door Adjustment Help

I own a '91 2-door XJ and have tried to align the doors my self but have had no luck. The body is perfectly straight but I had to replace the passenger side door cause the handles didn't work and cause of some rust. It will close, but only if it's shut very hard. Otherwise it just semi shuts like a seat belt was caught in the door or something. And the driver side door just doesn't completely seal to the weather striping towards the top back of the "B" pillar. You can tell by looking at the body gaps on the top of both doors that they are not level.
Can or do body shops do this kind of work? I would think they would be good at this kind of problem but dont know if they just do doors. Or is there somewhere else I should take it to have them aligned?
I've spent many of hours adding and removing shims to adjust the passenger side door but have had no luck on even getting it close to perfect. Plus it's a complete PITA trying to adjust the big doors from the 2-door model.