Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

doing a bit of work and would like some advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default doing a bit of work and would like some advise

Doing complete rear brake rebuild, front ball joints, tune up and a quicky on the tranny(converter swap, fluid-filter change and r/r solenoids).

On the brakes aint no thing...

BUT...

I got my solenoids from amazon(good reviews) and they just got numbers on the boxes. the solenoids all look exactly the same. Are they the same and just react different with the electrical going to them? Or???

On the converter swap is there any secrets to making it go smooth with no probs?

Also on the ball joints: not exact ones i ordered from what i see. Omix-ada is the brand i went with, but on the boxes it says for 87-06 wrangler for upper(part # 18037.02) and 99-04 WJ for the lowers(part # 18038.04). First time doing ball joints! Does anyone know if my 87 cherokee uses the same as mentioned??? Do i need to just pull old ones and see if same??? Send back before starting???

Appreciate any help....
Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The ball joints should be fine, they are the same for the dana 30 and dana 44 front axles.

Im not sure about the solenoids.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Torque Converter - When you put it on the input shaft of the trans, rotate it and push inward. It will click and drop in a couple times as it mates up. If you don't, you mess up the converter and be pulling it out in 3 months. Been there, done that.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:29 AM

Just lay the converter on its back and fill as much as is reasonable with ATF, coat the snout in ATF as well, and make sure the notches on the snout engage (may require rotating back and forth as you put it on) all the way into the transmission. If the converter hits the flexplate before the bell housing bolts tighten, don't force it - once the BH bolts are tight the converter should have to slide back forward a bit to meet the flexplate.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Year: 1987

Thank you guys for the help! Yep going to an interesting weekend!! 1st time doing ball joints(looks pretty easy, but also 1st time dealing with the transmission other than fluid/filter change)!!!

After looking over the solenoids a little more(two look the same and the other just a bit of difference to it).
If anyone has any info on them(would be too cool)?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

No knowledge on solenoids. Sorry.

Ball joints are easy. Make sure you have a pickle fork (tie rod splitter) and the correct ball joint press cup. Advance Auto has the adapter in the large kit. IIRC the upper joint uses the tapered adapter due to the angle of the axle housing end.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

Please tell us you left the solenoids in their original boxes... they're different. Not sure how, but when I replaced one of the ones in mine it was important for what gear it operates. There are some good pictures out there of which does which I the tranny. Then look up your part numbers again online and see which goes where. I wouldn't trust just looking at them though.