Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Doin a bit of work this week...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L
Exclamation Doin a bit of work this week...

My dad just got himself a new car, and we've got his old exploder sitting around, so i figured hey, why not work on the ol' XJ and drive the exploder around for a while?
As such, i'm trying to juggle about 50 things at once on the cherokee. I've got the old serpentine belt off, ready to put a new one on but i just can't get the dang power steering pulley to adjust!! any suggestions there? Also, the PO had the engine rebuilt, but apparently the guy that did it didn't believe in tightening valve cover bolts, so i've got a new gasket for that, any suggestions on how to clean off the entire engine without pulling it out? this thing is just caked in old oil and grease! I've also got a mysterious coolant leak that i fear is a blown head gasket because it doesn't drip on the driveway... Interior is basically shredded, i've got to put new headliner on the top, any idea how i should go about doing that? I've got a clunk that comes from the front end that feels like it locks up the wheels for a split second when in 4x4, tie rods i've gotta put on, she needs some shiny new 33's, front passenger door's hinges are rusting off the body, and that same door isn't closing quite right, power locks are too weak to lock itself, has new seats that don't match up right, and dang dirty carpet!!
BTW, it's an 88 laredo, 4.0, 4 door, 4x4, 4 inch lift. (4's all around!!)

Long post, i apologize, but appreciate the help in advance!

PS - anybody ever tried repainting their entire car in the garage?

World's nastiest interior... believe it or not, with the steering wheel like that it goes straight!

Current tires - 33x12.50x15

...and the beauty herself!
Old 02-08-2010, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

gunk engine degreaser... warm engine up then spray it down good and use a pressure washer... that will clean engine good... the ps has a adjuster screw ... on bottom loosen the 1/2 nut and then look to the side below the pump by the stearing box... you will see the adjuster screw...
Old 02-08-2010, 08:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Simple Green works a helluva lot better than any off the shelf engine cleaner. Works great a warm (not hot) engine.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:12 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

Compression test it for sure, pull the dipstick and see if the oil appears to be milky. For the Headliner I would say pull it out and re-fab it. MPO I would put that belt on and start with the compression test. Good luck
Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 AM

X2 on the simple green! Just did mine looks new!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

well heck .. i never tryed simple green... but i will next time...
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the replies! It's about 18 degrees and snowing outside today, or i'd jump right on that belt and compression test. Where can i pick me up some of this magical "Simple Green" stuff? I'm gonna upload a picture of the headliner later today, i can't seem to find my memory card reader right now!
Old 02-08-2010, 04:16 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

ok, i have had some of these problems. the first, steering wheel all the turned like that going straight. there is a clamp like fixture on your tie rod, loosen the two bolts that hold it, and twist the tie rod (forward or backward) have a friend sit in the driver seat to tell you which way to turn it until the steering wheel is straight. shouldnt take too long and its not very hard. http://lh6.ggpht.com/margo.ferri/R64...G_3751.JPG.jpg

thats a link to a picture by the way.

simple green is cheap cheap cheap. wal-mart, walgreens, dollar general. places like that. 'LA's Totally Awesome' works really good too. its at the dollar general. basically any multi purpose de-greaser works wonders.

what i would do about the PS steering issue is take it apart and rebuilt it and/or clean it really good. you never know, it could be something as simple as pebble in there somewhere. thats just me though

hope this helped some
Old 02-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks 2WD, i've got a couple of new tie rods that i already bought for it, so i think i'm gonna put those in and then i'll adjust it. As for the PS, i'm gonna take a closer look at it probably tonight. i tried to adjust it yesterday to get the belt off, but decided to just peel it off with a couple of screwdrivers since i got a new one anyways. it was squealing HORRIBLY when i finally parked it in the garage. It's been like that for about 2 or 3 weeks, and compared to the new belt, it looks like this old one was stretched about 2 inches longer. obviously i won't be able to wrestle the new one on if it's that big of a difference!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:41 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 L

yeah i need a new belt too. while its off check your harmonic balancer!!! (sp?) its common for those to go out, or run off track whichever you prefer to say. but if you turn it, be sure to unhook all your ignition relays and connections because it will start on you.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Well, i've been up all night workin on the jeep, and i've hit a problem... I got the valve cover gasket on, and the new belt on. Only thing is, i turned on the engine for a second to hear if the belt would squeal, and i hear this ticking, so i turn it off and take a look at the belt, and it's about half-way off the harmonic balancer! I loosen the belt, put it back in its place making sure everything is on the right way, tighten up the belt again, turn it on, and the same thing! Ticking and the belt is half off! I don't know if the ticking and the belt are related, but i'd really like to drive this thing soon, especially since i managed to get my dads exploder stuck in a ditch by the house and need something that can pull it out before work on thursday!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Year: 1999

you need a new harmonic balancer
Old 02-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Member

ugh. i was afraid of that.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm assuming that replacing the harmonic balancer is not simply a bolt-off, bolt-on process but requires a special tool. am i correct?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned

Year: 1999

prolly need a harm. bal. puller or maybe even the chrysler harm. bal. puller auto zone rents tools out and you get your money back when you return tool

Quick Reply: Doin a bit of work this week...