Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

does anyone run a tru-cool tranny cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default does anyone run a tru-cool tranny cooler?

I am gonna put a aftermarket tranny cooler in my xj. I am going to bypass the lines that go to the radiator, and run a tru-cool cooler. This is what i have from the place i bought it from.
Description Special Internet Pricing Only
Heavy Duty Driving, pick-up trucks and vans - towing up to 5000 lbs, class "C" motor homes, travel trailers to 24ft

GVW Rating - 22,000 lbs.
BTU Rating - 20,000 btu.
11/32" Hose Barb

Transmission Oil Cooler Kit includes:
  • Oil Cooler
  • Hose
  • Fittings & Hardware
  • Two Styles of Mounting Hardware:
    • quick connect nylon straps
    • steel mounting
  • Easy Installation Instructions (no special tools needed)

Long Tru-Cool LPD Advantages:
  • Advanced technology outperforms tube & fin design
  • Delivers up to 15 times less flow restriction
  • Durable brazed all aluminum construction
  • Self-regulating for maximum lube flow protetion through start-up, varied temperatures and driving conditions, heavy loads and towing
Here's how Low Pressure Drop (LPD) technology works to protect your transmission:
When Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is cold it is viscous. The unique Tru-Cool design allows the colder, thicker ATF to flow more efficiently through two open bypass channels positioned at the top of the cooler.

As operating temperatures increase, the ATF becomes hotter and thinner. It's directed through the core where it is cooled.

Tru-Cool's highly efficient cooling technology combines improved protection against lube system failure with optimal heat transfer.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

i would use it WITH the stock cooler.......
Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM

So you would keep the lines running to the rad?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

The stock lines that go to the radiator help to warm the transmission up to operating temp.. By running it throught both, you will allow the radiator to warm the tranny up, but still give it the cooling capacity to deal with things like towing, or crawling up and over rocks on hot days.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 PM

If i understand the tru-cool cooler it does warm up the fluid faster because of the bypass valve that is built into the cooler. It bypasses the fins when the fluid is cold so it goes back to the tranny and gets warm faster. Then when it has warmed up it goes through the fins and keeps it cool. I just ask because the lines on my rad are shot and i don't feel like buying a new rad right now. If i don't run the lines through the rad will it kill my tranny?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by saleen9973
If i understand the tru-cool cooler it does warm up the fluid faster because of the bypass valve that is built into the cooler. It bypasses the fins when the fluid is cold so it goes back to the tranny and gets warm faster. Then when it has warmed up it goes through the fins and keeps it cool. I just ask because the lines on my rad are shot and i don't feel like buying a new rad right now. If i don't run the lines through the rad will it kill my tranny?
probally not...but if you do bypass it you should mount it Directly on the radiator in front of the Clutch fan....this way it always has air being pulled past it......One of my friends Melted a trans in a Ford F-250 Truck because he installed the cooler WRONG.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:13 PM

I may be able to make it work running the line in the rad and through the cooler if you guys think its best. Also that is a great idea about putting it in front of the clutch fan, good looking out. I think i am gonna run a electric fan. I have a parts 93 xj and i was wondering if i can take the electric fan out of it and use it as my fan where the clutch fan was or is it too deep?