Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

DIY Headlight loom upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default DIY Headlight loom upgrade.

Well I like most tried to tackle the crappy headlight situation on my 97 XJ. But instead of buying a loom I built my own using http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm. Was a major improvement over factory by at least 65%. Also put in 90/170w bulbs and knockoff projector style cans. Was easy to do but have one small issue that need some help with.
It is kinda wierd but here goes. If the ing is on and I flip to high beam then back to low beam highs stay on aswell as lows. But if you turn ing off then lights and while on courtesy lighting they will switch back and forth fine. And the only time is when the relay/timer or whatever is working. With ing off I have the same issue. Not too sure if that makes any since to you all but really does not make any to me either. I have checked my loom for shorts and that all my corrections are correct. I used a 40amp on both hi and lo. And as far as I can tell I do not have a DRL module that I can see. I know that the space in my fuse box under hood has an empty space where the relay for the DRL goes.

So if anyone has any ideas Id appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

What year? Got factory fog lights? This is a known issue (if you do). The factory fogs use the high-beam + wire to effectively turn off the fogs, and however Jeep has it wired causes enough current to bleed-off and keep your high-beams energized as you describe.

The solution is (if you have and want to keep your fog lights) to bend/remove one of the pins on one of the 2 fog light relays (so the fog light system ignores the high-beams)....there are several threads out there which tell you the correct pin to remove. If you don't have or don't care about the fog lights, just pull both the fog light relays in the PDC.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:47 AM

You are my personal hero Nerd!!! Pulled relay and insto presto! Thanks