Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

dino to amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2
Default dino to amsoil

Ive been doing a lot of reading about synthetic and amsoil, my buddy works at a shop that deals amsoil so its been sparking interest. Ive read a lot of reviews about synthetic vs. dino, but im not sure if its worth switching the zj to it. Im driving the rausch next weekend (300 miles round trip) and was ready to do an oil change.

anybody with personal exp. or able to enlighten me alittle more. thanks!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

You can try the amsoil if you like, stay with it if you want to, or switch back to your fav dino oil.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I have ran just about every major brand oil on the market at one time or another except Pensoil, I have never noticed any difference between any of them. Run what you feel comfortable with.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:23 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

it's really a personal choice. If you can justify the added cost in exchange for longer oil change intervals, then by all means.

I always point people to this article - pretty much the definitive answer on any oil myth/question out there, backed by unbiased scientific research:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/cms/in...=article&id=84

To summarize the benefits of pros/cons of synthetic over dino:
Pros: Longer Oil Change interval possible due to less viscosity improvers in the oil to break down over dino, a bit less internal friction / wear = a bit better mpg/power, and better lubrication at startup due to the decreased thickening at cooldown over dino
Cons: COST, seals may begin to leak if they are in poor condition due to the cleaning agents in synthetic oil
Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
☠ CF Sheriff ☠

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO I-6, 703 Injectors, Brown Dog Super Engine Mounts

and brand in no way, shape, or form makes a difference in the oil performance, only the additives are different. The rating and weight are what matter, as they are standardized across the board.

5w-30 is what i recommend, SL or SM rated.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

For what it's worth... (the shop I work at is an Amsoil dealer)... my Amsoil representaitive tells me that the base oil is different. Everything that I've ever read about "synthetic" oil says that it's still petroleum based crude that's been refined to a more uniform molecular structure, thus enhancing it's shear strength and breakdown characteristics. Supposedly, Amsoil is the only "truly synthetic" oil as it's base oil stock is manufactured from a natural gas infused with other raw materials to engineer a pure synthetic base. I can't even pretend to comprehend the complexity, and I don't know if this is factual or advertising hype. The one thing that he said that I really liked though, was "if you're not doubling your oil change interval with a synthetic oil, reguardless of brand, you're wasting your money!"
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I personally recommend it to everyone. I put 0-30 in my cherokee and after 25k I changed the oil and filter. Iam currentyl at 20k on this one and just sent a uoa out and am waiting for the results. Noticed faster warmup and I consistantly get 20+mpg city highway mix.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I'm running Penzoil Full syn 5w-30w-plus a pure one filter/about 30cc of moly and all seems fine -the oil presuure is up and I'm happy
Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

One big thing I've notice about amsoil is the mpg increase, I mean 1 mpg is like nothing but add that to the faster start up, longer interval change and stuff. I know there isn't going to be any crazy performance gain, not what I'm looking for.

I really want opinions on the subject.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 PM
CF Veteran

I have personally run it in quite a few of both mine and customers vehicles all with good reviews.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

So, how does a synthetic make an engine warm up/start quicker?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
So, how does a synthetic make an engine warm up/start quicker?
never seen one warm quicker, but start quicker is possible from reduced friction
Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Start Up Quicker my boss would say, I mean I could see with a thinner viscosity, freeeeee,er flowing fluid in cold temps, but I dont know about Faster warm up. I would think for a faster warm up you would need some kind of load. Kind of contradicts its self.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

I love the oil discussions. I am about to change my oil and I have been running Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 5w-30 for the past 5k miles. Prior to that I was running Penzoil 10w-30 for 5k miles (I live in the high Rockies, so 5w-30 is definitely necessary during the winter). I just bought Royal Purple 10w-30 and will be running it with a Wix filter. The last two oil changes, I ran a Fram filter. I have 283k miles on my Jeep. I consistently get 20 mpg city highway mix, winter or summer (our winters can get as cold as -35F, summers can get up to +95F). I am curious to see whether Royal Purple performs as well as I have read. I will report back soon.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by KennyG
For what it's worth... (the shop I work at is an Amsoil dealer)... my Amsoil representaitive tells me that the base oil is different. Everything that I've ever read about "synthetic" oil says that it's still petroleum based crude that's been refined to a more uniform molecular structure, thus enhancing it's shear strength and breakdown characteristics. Supposedly, Amsoil is the only "truly synthetic" oil as it's base oil stock is manufactured from a natural gas infused with other raw materials to engineer a pure synthetic base. I can't even pretend to comprehend the complexity, and I don't know if this is factual or advertising hype. The one thing that he said that I really liked though, was "if you're not doubling your oil change interval with a synthetic oil, reguardless of brand, you're wasting your money!"
You have to check which oil you want to use. Some, like Mobil 1, are true synthetics. Some, like Rotella (for the diesels anyway), are super-refined pertoleum bases. Generally the cheaper "synthetics" are petroleum bases.

Quick Reply: dino to amsoil