Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Difficult start and smoke after injector swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Difficult start and smoke after injector swap

first off, i want everyone to know that i did a search to find similar topics, but i couldn't find a solution. that said, here is my problem:

my 2000 xj was starting up just fine, but i heard so much about the bosch 4 port injectors that i figured i'd give it a try. the results went a little something like this here...initially, the jeep was all fudged up. it smoked like hell and wouldn't idle. after about 4 or 5 starts, it started to mellow out. after about 10 or so starts, it ran VERY well. much more responsive, and a smoother idle that ever. after about start #11, the starter would draw down real low, kind of like when you leave the lights on and have just enough juice to start the car...but just barely. it would crank a few times, then draw down real low like it was cutting out, then crank back up to speed a few times and start. when it starts, it blows a huge cloud of smoke out the back like uncle buck. the smoke continues for about 30 seconds and then runs fine again. i figure i'm somehow getting fuel back into my cylinder from a stuck injector, but these things were new. it never did any of this before. i called jeep, and they could only troubleshoot if the oil pressure was low, but it is fine. i'm baffled. no check engine light or anything. like i said before, it runs perfectly once up and running, but it does that one, weird draw down and blows smoke for about 30 seconds. any ideas?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Did you reset the ecu ? If not try it.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Did you try to see if there were any codes? You can still have stored codes even if you don't have a CEL.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Might have an injector leaking dumping fuel in a cylinder.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

probably have a leaking injector
Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by JMerz
first off, i want everyone to know that i did a search to find similar topics, but i couldn't find a solution. that said, here is my problem:

my 2000 xj was starting up just fine, but i heard so much about the bosch 4 port injectors that i figured i'd give it a try. the results went a little something like this here...initially, the jeep was all fudged up. it smoked like hell and wouldn't idle. after about 4 or 5 starts, it started to mellow out. after about 10 or so starts, it ran VERY well. much more responsive, and a smoother idle that ever. after about start #11, the starter would draw down real low, kind of like when you leave the lights on and have just enough juice to start the car...but just barely. it would crank a few times, then draw down real low like it was cutting out, then crank back up to speed a few times and start. when it starts, it blows a huge cloud of smoke out the back like uncle buck. the smoke continues for about 30 seconds and then runs fine again. i figure i'm somehow getting fuel back into my cylinder from a stuck injector, but these things were new. it never did any of this before. i called jeep, and they could only troubleshoot if the oil pressure was low, but it is fine. i'm baffled. no check engine light or anything. like i said before, it runs perfectly once up and running, but it does that one, weird draw down and blows smoke for about 30 seconds. any ideas?
Pull the fuel rail back with the injectors still attached, and the injector connectors still attached. Place bits of paper towel or rags beteen the injector tips and the intake manifold. Turn the key to RUN (don't crank) to run the fuel pump. If you have a leaking injector it will show up doing this.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: I6

yeah i reset the ecu and there are no codes. i'll give the paper towel trick a shot. the leaking injector was my suspect from the start, but i'm just in denial at the moment. i hate it when new equipment fowls!