Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Diff fluid leaking from frame rail

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Diff fluid leaking from frame rail

Hi guys, I recently changed my front and rear diff fluid in my 2000 Cherokee, and I have fluid leaking near the axle and frame rail. It has the 8.25 rear end. I don't believe it is the axle seal, because it is leaking more towards the middle of the axle, and the pinion seal doesn't seem in too bad of shape either. I used the solid diff covers and lube locker combos, and filled them up to where I could touch it with my finger at the fill hole. Could I have possibly over filled it and it is just burping out the leftovers through the axle breather? Should I drain it out and refill it with factory specs? Any advice? I am leaving for a 8 hour round trip drive in two weeks, and I would like to keep my driveway from getting stained. Thanks!

Last edited by PoorMansWrangler; 09-24-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:23 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by PoorMansWrangler
Hi guys, I recently changed my front and rear diff fluid in my 2000 Cherokee, and I have fluid leaking near the axle and frame rail. It has the 8.25 rear end. I don't believe it is the axle seal, because it is leaking more towards the middle of the axle, and the pinion seal doesn't seem in too bad of shape either. I used the solid diff covers and lube locker combos, and filled them up to where I could touch it with my finger at the fill hole. Could I have possibly over filled it and it is just burping out the leftovers through the axle breather? Should I drain it out and refill it with factory specs? Any advice? I am leaving for a 8 hour round trip drive in two weeks, and I would like to keep my driveway from getting stained. Thanks!
Seeing as this is where the breather tube goes, it's probably the most logical answer. The aftermarket diff covers do allow more fluid. I would use a fluid pump at the fill hole and remove a small amount of fluid, and while you're under there, check the breather hose and junctions for any blockage, just to be sure all is golden. After, take it to the local coin op car wash, and try to spray the areas where it's leaking from as best you can to remove any residual oil. Last thing I would do, just for a little added insurance, put a small piece of cardboard down on the driveway where you park, to catch any stray drops, and keep an eye on it.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 PM

Thank you! I will do that tomorrow! It's so intermittent in its leaking, but this weekend I was moving so I was towing a trailer around, and I noticed it more frequently. I am going to contact Solid tomorrow and see what they recommend, and I will post it up on here. I am also taking a 4 hour trip each way here in the next two weeks to pick up my pup, so I don't want to risk not having enough fluid in and burning my rear end up
Old 09-24-2017, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by PoorMansWrangler
Thank you! I will do that tomorrow! It's so intermittent in its leaking, but this weekend I was moving so I was towing a trailer around, and I noticed it more frequently. I am going to contact Solid tomorrow and see what they recommend, and I will post it up on here. I am also taking a 4 hour trip each way here in the next two weeks to pick up my pup, so I don't want to risk not having enough fluid in and burning my rear end up
You could also extend the breather tube, so it terminates at a higher point, further away...if it becomes more of an issue. Towing is making your system work harder, so take that into account too. Pretty sure most aftermarket cover manufacturers will still recommend filling to the hole...but do ask them to be sure.

What kind of pup are you getting? I'm a lab guy, have had a yellow, a chocolate, and now a black...fantastic dogs.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:31 PM

Yea, this weekend was the first time I noticed it. I'm getting a bird dog, a German Shorthair Pointer pup. I love labs also, I hope to get one in the next couple years for water work!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:37 PM

Also great dogs. High energy, so work him hard, lol
Old 09-25-2017, 02:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts

Originally Posted by roninofako
You could also extend the breather tube, so it terminates at a higher point, further away...
I did that awhile back. Because I wanted to use Eastwood Internal Frame Coating in my uni-body and like to Fluid Film in there too. Obviously afraid to do so with whatever breather set up is inside the uni-body because did not want to prevent it from doing its job being a gunked up. Used 11' of 5/16" fuel line, 2 5/16" fuel line hose clamps, and the same breather the front diff uses. Part # J5352955. Can be had at the dealership. Ran it all the way up next to the front diff breather. You can put it wherever you want though.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBGH176

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7051226