Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Diesel Engine Cuts out when warm

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Diesel Engine Cuts out when warm

2004 Diesel 2.5. (in Ireland) Cuts out when hot. Will not re-start until it cools. Engine turns, but does not fire until cold. Then runs until hot again. Head was cracked and just replaced. Cut-out prob still there. Mechanic's Diagnostics computer picks up rpm as it turns prior to firing when cool but does not pick up any rpm when turning prior to not firing when hot. He thinks if his diagnostic computer is picking up nothing, then the engine management computer is picking up nothing. He suspects a crankshaft sensor may be faulty? How to find out? Diagnostics report no fault. No dash warning lights, All guages normal.
The cracked head manifested as 1) a small coolant loss (with no trace) for several months and 2) the engine was laboured to fire at first turnover after a couple of days rest. 3) Then one day massive white smoke on starting, reduced as engine warmed up. After 5 miles (towing a trailer) engine cut out. Would not re-start until cool. limped home one mile at a time. Found re-con head in UK. That Head id now fitted and seems fine.. bar that the cut-out problem is still there. Any ideas.. please ?!
I did see a thread re a 1990's petrol engine.. different animal to the 2004 2.5l diesel (stick-shift).. That suggested fuel pump problem, but no sign of fuel shortage.

Last edited by TwinkleIreland; 07-25-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Hate you for having a diesel! (envy!!)
Is that the same one (VM) used by the US spec Liberty? If so, you may want to troll those forums for pertinent diesel tech since most of us are not so lucky.
Did I mention I hate you for having a diesel?
Old 07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

??????????
What kind of vehicle are you asking about. You said it's a 2004 so that means it's NOT a Jeep Cherokee XJ. This section is for only the XJ.
Try posting in the correct section....
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

They call the liberty a Cherokee overseas.... And this is oem Cherokee tech
That means he is in the right section technically
Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2000 Ltd.
Engine: 4.0L I6

While we have members from around the globe this is also a US forum and thus is probably not the place to get info on an overseas Cherokee known in the US as a Liberty. I'm not trying to rip on anyone here, I'm just saying that while this may be the correct forum for someone who's oversees, the people browsing it are going to be predominantly XJ enthusiasts and it may be a while before anyone stumbles across this thread that knows anything that can be useful to the OP.

To the OP, you might try searching around on some of the Liberty forums or other general Jeep forums and have better luck getting help.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
??????????
What kind of vehicle are you asking about. You said it's a 2004 so that means it's NOT a Jeep Cherokee XJ. This section is for only the XJ.
Try posting in the correct section....
Ok Thanks Robert.. I am just a self-employed guy in Ireland who googled looking for help because I have a Jeep Cherokee Commercial 2.5 Diesel that has developed an untraceable fault. (It's what I call the curvy body small version of the Grand Cherokee in Europe). meanwhile, I am off the road, so out of business till its fixed. So far I cannot find a solution. My local main dealer ripped me off when I had a cylinder head problem by first replacing my water pump and then my rad and charging big-time on each occasion. I used to like my Jeep, but at this rate it will be NEVER AGAIN !!
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 2.5 td

Worth a try just saw this elsewhere, unfortunately im no mechanic.
as follows.

Injector problem, try this, after running if the car wont start with a dump cold cloth place it on top of the injectors (first the ons on the middle) after five minutes the car starts there you have your answer
this problem is quite common in the first series injectors ref ending on 030, the injectors supplied by Land Rover for the Freelander are more reliable

this is quoted for rover, principle same i would think.