Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Did a test, concerning results

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Question Did a test, concerning results

So, recently my 91 XJ has been disagreeing with the hot weather and trying to overheat, or just run warm. So, the first thing I did is get a coolant tester from A/Z and test the coolant.. only 2 ***** rose out of 5.. So, my immediate reaction was 'coolant flush'. When I do the flush, I figure it would be good to replace the upper and lower rad hoses and tstat as well. Eventully though Im gettin a two row rad from radiatorbarn.

First q, is the stuff I want to replace typical with a flush?

Second, how hard is it to take out the rad?
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

if you plan on replacing the rad. i wouldnt buy new hoses yet until you get the new one. but the other stuf i would say go ahead. but im a new guy to jeeps. so you may have to replace it all. im not that sure. imo i wouldnt.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Start with what you have planned. Is your E fan working correctly, on when above 210 or when AC/Defrost is on? Is the fan clutch working on the mechanical fan?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not difficult to replace any of it, maybe a bit involved. Besides the coolant and trans hoses if you have A/T, you pull the e-fan, belted fan/clutch assy and shroud. There's a panel between the grille surround held by torx screws and 10MM bolts that comes out, then the radiator lifts off a pair of grommets. You'll need a quick-disconnect tool for the tranny hoses if that applies, and there are a pair of rubber mounts that will need transferred to your new radiator. I was not able to disconnect mine, so bought a new tranny line as my Jeep lived in PA most of it's life and the road salt had rusted it pretty badly. Pay attention to the A/C condenser if you have one, it's held by the pins on the bottom of the radiator so you have to align them when putting it back together.

This applies to 1999's like mine, I can't promise how much will be relevant for you but it should be similar.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by rayos-x
Not difficult to replace any of it, maybe a bit involved. Besides the coolant and trans hoses if you have A/T, you pull the e-fan, belted fan/clutch assy and shroud. There's a panel between the grille surround held by torx screws and 10MM bolts that comes out, then the radiator lifts off a pair of grommets. You'll need a quick-disconnect tool for the tranny hoses if that applies, and there are a pair of rubber mounts that will need transferred to your new radiator. I was not able to disconnect mine, so bought a new tranny line as my Jeep lived in PA most of it's life and the road salt had rusted it pretty badly. Pay attention to the A/C condenser if you have one, it's held by the pins on the bottom of the radiator so you have to align them when putting it back together.

This applies to 1999's like mine, I can't promise how much will be relevant for you but it should be similar.
This thread is 3 years old, it's probably been repaired or sold off by now.