Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Diagnosing this fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Diagnosing this fuel pump

This is a 4 mo old new Bosch fuel pump. History: I put it in and drive 2 months, 1200 miles w/o incident. Started to leak so I dropped tank to check the pump retainer ring/nut and gasket. Looked ok, re-did it anyway. Still leaked, dropped tank, decided it was leaking at fuel pump connection to the fuel supply line. Replaced the supply tube with another OEM tube. Still leaked, got progressively worse...puddle under tank when stopped after fair amount of driving. Used UV dye and saw none of it anywhere but on tank and up top.

Question... Got it all torn apart again. Should I pop this regulator off (little silver bar thing?) ? I have a pic of what the inside of the regulator unit is supposed to look like, but not really sure what else I can/should check on the pump itself. Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Thumbnails Diagnosing this fuel pump-image.jpg  
Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 AM

oh...btw, I did NOT clean it off (obviously) with the hope that maybe the grime would give a keen eye an idea of what could be happening. Longshot, I know... CSI....Jeep division haha
Old 10-12-2015, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

You can pull the filter/regulator off and check the two O-rings (pic).

There's a gasket between the regulator and the plastic housing as well.

Maybe leaking from the two electrical connections ?

Name:  FuelPressureRegulator_FilterAssembly.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  179.2 KB
Old 10-12-2015, 11:29 AM
CF Veteran

If/when you reinstall the pump module dust the top area with baby powder. It should show where the leak is.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

Make sure the roll-over valve on top of the tank is not cracked.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:42 PM

Thanks Ken.

I pulled the trigger by not really pulling the trigger. I decided against taking the pump apart and risking voiding any warranty on the pump. Cleaned it off, was thrilled when a thin coat of oil helped retainer nut go on in 5 minutes (last time took 3 hrs, no kidding).

I checked the roll-over valve pretty carefully and made sure the part of it inside the tank wasn't all gunked up (had seen a weird post about that in earlier research). The little rubber connector on it is pretty dry and brittle, so I hit that with a tiny bit of oil too during reconnection.

Was really careful connecting the dumb, damn fuel supply tube. And, finally, in as much as this might matter, I cranked the tank up super snug. I had replaced the tank straps in June with Spectras [I hear you chuckling a whole state away Ken] and they weren't exceptionally form-fitting. Kinda gapped. Anywho, bent them to fit best I could today. With other tank drops, I had been shy about ratcheting the straps really tight. This time, it's tight.

If today's undo-redo doesn't resolve my issue, guess I'll be calling Bosch and a local pro :/
Old 10-12-2015, 06:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tracyk
Thanks Ken.

I pulled the trigger by not really pulling the trigger. I decided against taking the pump apart and risking voiding any warranty on the pump. Cleaned it off, was thrilled when a thin coat of oil helped retainer nut go on in 5 minutes (last time took 3 hrs, no kidding).

I checked the roll-over valve pretty carefully and made sure the part of it inside the tank wasn't all gunked up (had seen a weird post about that in earlier research). The little rubber connector on it is pretty dry and brittle, so I hit that with a tiny bit of oil too during reconnection.

Was really careful connecting the dumb, damn fuel supply tube. And, finally, in as much as this might matter, I cranked the tank up super snug. I had replaced the tank straps in June with Spectras [I hear you chuckling a whole state away Ken] and they weren't exceptionally form-fitting. Kinda gapped. Anywho, bent them to fit best I could today. With other tank drops, I had been shy about ratcheting the straps really tight. This time, it's tight.

If today's undo-redo doesn't resolve my issue, guess I'll be calling Bosch and a local pro :/
You're only an hour's drive from here. One of these days I should drive down there so you can buy me lunch.

Tee Hee
Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
You're only an hour's drive from here. One of these days I should drive down there so you can buy me lunch.

Tee Hee
Well, it would be my pleasure, of course.

Major fail on this morning's fuel pump project btw. Sullied the Target parking lot with a MONSTER fuel leak upon my arrival. Then my own drive. Apparently all fuel in the line emptied itself. Leaked for 15 whole mins, 1 drop at a time. It was way too noxious to crawl under again for inspection tonite, but I threw on the pressure tester. Fired up at 48 psi but dropped down to 25 almost immediately when I shut it down. Guess it's time to pay someone figure out my mistake. Grr.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 AM

Follow Up: Shop guys found a pinhole leak on the pump at or near the supply tube connection (after assuming faulty supply tube and replacing it with hose/clamps)
Just ordered a replacement Carter, and hopefully won't get asses and elbows from Rock Auto over warranty on the Bosch.