Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dexron 6 in an AW4 ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dexron 6 in an AW4 ??

I just bought my XJ about a week ago, found where previous owner had serviced, found trans filter replacement and trans flush done in April. I called the shop to ask what fluid was used, they said their machine flushes whole system, removes almost all old fluid, and they replaced with full synthetic dexron 6. Until 15 minutes ago, i didnt know dexron 6 existed. Is it any good? Do i need to worry?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

AW4 requires Dexton III. should be fine.

per the fluid manufacturer

DEXRONŽ-VI, also satisfies requirements of DEXRONŽ, DEXRONŽ-III H, III, IIE and II.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Coincidentally, I just mentioned this in another post about a week ago.

Shops buy in bulk, and typically they are buying multi-vehicle formulas that cover many varieties of specifications in a single fluid. The product/brand names that they buy are not necessarily familiar to those that we see on the shelves at the auto parts store.

For example, the shelf brand Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF would be -similar- to what was listed in this post (I don't know if it includes every one of those specifications). But DEXIII/MERC are the ones they highlight on the front of the bottle (on the back of the bottle will be listed some of the others).