Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

define "track"

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default define "track"

when you lift you xj and it "tracks badly" or whatever.. what exactly does track mean?

thanks...

i just took the jeep around the neighborhood, and dont really notice a difference, other then the feeling of sitting higher, and tires...
Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Dude the "Butt Dyno" is the best way to test in modifcation done to your XJ. If you drive it and it feels right then all is well.

Track, the way you are talking is basically do your rear tires still sit directly behind your front tires. Some rigs after being lifted develope the crab walk thing, like they appear to be going down the road diagonally or sideways. Usually associated with a tweaked frame. I had two different lifted Toyota trucks on 35" tires and both did this. My XJ is currently on 6" lift and 32" tires and she "tracks" perfectly even after MUCH 4wheeling.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

Like Buck said.

Where I come from a vehicle thats "tracking badly" is said to be "going doggy"

The higher you lift the more your front axle moves towards the driver's side because of the tackbar length.

ALSO: The higher you lift, the more your tires "toe-in" (point towards each other)

These symptoms are good reasons to have a front-end alignment after lifting.
Even if it "feels" ok.
It highly lessens the chance of one of the many forms of death-wobble.

Don't believe me? Hit a bump doing 45-50mph (Oh yeah, don't forget to have clean underwear handy...you'll need em)
Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM

i def plan on getting an alignment.. after i get one will i then know if i need to relocate my track bar? Its only a 3inch lift..

i know stryker wrote a how to...
Old 01-09-2009, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Typically, when a vehicle isn't "tracking" properly, that means that it isn't maintaining a "straight-ahead" course on its own (as it should, if it's properly aligned, tyre pressure correct, &c. &c. ...)

This should not be confused with "track" as a vehicle specification, which generally refers to the distance between the longwise centreline of one tyre and the other on the same end (there is a "front track" and a "rear track" specification, natch.)

If it's not "tracking" properly, it's going to "drift" to one side or the other instead of staying on the line you've got it pointed on. Easy test - take a fairly empty section of straight road, get on a straight course, and let go the wheel. Watch where the centreline (or other convenient reference) runs; it will either stay put ("tracking properly",) drift off to the left ("vehicle tracking right") or drift off to the right ("vehicle tracking left".)

"Going doggy" is also a good description - ever see a dog trot? He's usually got his body at an angle to the direction he's travelling - that's called "dog-tracking" (pilots call it "crabbing" as well - just depends on the flight instructor you had.)

Dog-tracking can be caused by any number of factors, so it's best to know which direction you're tracking and how fast before you try to diagnose it.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:03 AM

ok, i will try that tommorrow.

i do know that my steering wheel is slightly off when my wheels are straight... but i believe that is a somewhat easy fix...
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by 95greenxj

i do know that my steering wheel is slightly off when my wheels are straight... but i believe that is a somewhat easy fix...
Yeah just adjust the draglink.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Yep - as mentioned, the draglink wants adjusting. This will be the adjuster sleeve closest to the steering gear/Pitman arm.

Your steering wheel being off-centre doesn't have anything to do with the vehicle tracking, tho - be advised.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by 5-90
Yep - as mentioned, the draglink wants adjusting. This will be the adjuster sleeve closest to the steering gear/Pitman arm.

Your steering wheel being off-centre doesn't have anything to do with the vehicle tracking, tho - be advised.

yea i know, thanks.....

i drove on a 2lane rd yesterday and let go of the wheel and the jeep stayed in the same spot for the longest time.. untill a turn came up.. so i guess thats pretty good. =)
Old 01-11-2009, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

yea i know, thanks.....

i drove on a 2lane rd yesterday and let go of the wheel and the jeep stayed in the same spot for the longest time.. untill a turn came up.. so i guess thats pretty good. =)
Sounds aces to me - run with it!